Sshd and ssd without removing files

Jakevandee

Prominent
May 9, 2017
Hi, I currently am running a Seagate firecuda for my main drive and I just recently purchased a 120 gb ssd for my windows and maybe a game or some programs. Is there any way I can switch windows to the drive and leave all of my other stuff on the firecuda? Also I have slow internet and redownloading all of my games and applications would take days. Thanks.

USAFRet

Titan

Basically, no. Not the way you're thinking.

You can't migrate "only the OS" to this new drive.

USAFRet

Titan
We can go into options, but a couple of questions first:

1. Do you have (or can borrow) another drive? Internal or external.
2. How much space is consumed on your current Firecuda?
3. What, exactly, constitutes that space? Be as specific as you can...size, types, ets.

Jakevandee

Prominent
May 9, 2017
Half games are steam games, and I have stuff from unreal engine, 3D models, 3D print models, some applications for music creation. I am using 618 Gb of 2tb on my main drive.

USAFRet

Titan

Given that, a 120GB SSD, and a slow internet connection...this will be painful.

"1. Do you have (or can borrow) another drive? Internal or external."

This might be used to move Steam games to temporarily.

Basically, for a cloning operation to this new SSD, the actual consumed space in your C partition needs to be below 85GB.
That is non negotiable.

USAFRet

Titan

We'll go through this step by step.

Step 1:
Find the SteamApps folder on your current drive.
Can you copy that to your 4TB external? If so, do that.

Once that whole thing is copied and verified OK, Delete from your current Firecuda.

Report back here with how much space is taken up on your C partition after this.

Jakevandee

Prominent
May 9, 2017
My internet is the fastest I can get where I am and because I live in a rural area the lines haven’t been replaced since 1985 and I have 18 down 1.5 up when I’m super lucky but on my computer I get about 6 down and 1 up because of the other devices

USAFRet

Titan

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game
Properties
Local Files
Move Install Folder

Bee_Dee_3_Dee

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
Utilities for situations like Jakevandee is in is:

https://allwaysync.com/
(Allway Sync)

The biggest advantage with Allwaysync is starting and stopping and pausing file and folder copying (synchronizing). And the program won't crash or make mistakes and it uses very few resources. It's hard to tell it is running but it copies files and folders very fast.

And for creating one partition initially, on the new SSD to be used during cloning the OS; and to use after cloning for creating and managing a 2nd partition for installing a few games on:

https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html
(MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Edition 10.2)

Cloning Jakevandee's existing OS can be done with software provided by the maker of the SSD. (But only if the existing OS is stable.)

Edit: Cloning OS partition or drive can be done with software provided by the maker of the SSD.