Question SSHD dead? Spins up and device detected(ish) in windows

Lewinator56

Honorable
Jan 8, 2017
So, the SSHD in my laptop has decided to fail, after, well, I'm not sure, I started having issues the night before, when the laptop refused to hibernate (it has an SSD boot drive and an SSHD, the page file is on the SSHD), so I manually powered it off. It booted fine the next day, but, a few hours later had a BSOD relating to a storage access error, so I reset it again, only to find the SSHD not showing up in explorer.
Upon opening partition manager, windows prompts me to initialise the drive, but it fails, so I rebooted, and magically the drive is back ,but with 98 bad sectors.
And that brings me to now, I was in the middle of playing a game stored on the SSHD when it froze suddenly, so i tried to exit it ,this failed, assuming it was the drive I tried to open an explorer window for the drive, this froze too.
Next thing I did was reboot, but this just hung on the rebooting screen, so after 5 minutes I manually powered the laptop off, and now, the SSHD is not detected ever.

Interestingly, it isn't detected in the BIOS, but, it spins up, and sounds healthy and windows knows there's a drive there, because every time I open partition manager it asks me to initialise it, which of course fails, it shows up as 'unknown device' under disk drives in device manager. Also, boot up is now exceedingly slow (I'm booting off the NVMe SSD) and I know this is caused by windows trying and failing to initialize the drive, so....

What, if anything is actually wrong with my SSHD? It's definately not mechanical or power related, given it spins up etc... Could the controller be fried? But that doesn't explain my experience earlier where it didn't work for a bit, then worked again...

USAFRet

Titan
Drives die.
All of them, eventually.

Sometimes suddenly, sometimes with weird issues before they kick the bucket.
"98 bad sectors" and frezing...that is an almost dead drive.

Do you have a full drive backup of this?

Whatever make it is, run the manufacturers testing tool.
Be prepared to replace it. Either free under warranty, or buy a new one.

Lewinator56

Honorable
Jan 8, 2017
Aaaaaaand after about 10 reboots... It's back, as for hard disk sentinel, it costs money, and as a student, I don't have any of that, I used a piece for software called 'victoria' ran a full scan with it (took 5 hours) detected no problems....

Lewinator56

Honorable
Jan 8, 2017
Ok, so hwinfo and crystalsiskinfo are displaying conflicting results now, so in crystalsiskinfo it says it has 79 uncorrectable sectors (it's gone down???) But hwinfo says it has 1752??

Lewinator56

Honorable
Jan 8, 2017
"Aaaaaaand ...." it will eventually die anyway.
You can continue to think "no problems".

Backup software is free.
Losing your schoolwork is not free.

Important stuff is backed up, I would never do any uni work in a folder not synced with GDrive. I simply can't believe it's failing, the laptop isn't even a year old, and I have a HDD in my desktop that is 6 years old and still working just fine, all those times I've said a HDD will last longer than an SSD under appropriate conditions are coming back to bite me now....

Anyway, hard disk sentinel (just downloaded the trial) is agreeing with hwinfo, it does however list those 1752 sectors as weak sectors waiting to be remapped, so, they aren't actual damages sectors? And given my previous scan didn't find any issues...
It should still be under warranty anyway so I can get the drive replaced, I just hope it lasts until the end of this month