Question SSHD for DX58SO and reinstall windows

Marbletime

Honorable
Jul 30, 2014
Hi

I currently have this PC (i7 920, DX58SO motherboard, DDR3 3x2GB RAM, 500GB HDD 7200RPM, GTX 760, XFX Pro 550W, Windows 10 Pro) - fairly old but I would like to finish playing the games I do have on steam on it but am running out of space to install them. It does take time to boot up and I usually leave it for a good 10 minutes before attempting to login. Once this is done it runs at a fair speed and have been able to play Witcher 3 and MGSIV on it (probably the most demanding games in my library). I would like to get a SSHD (not looking to spend more than £60) and have come across Seagate 1TB 3.5" SATA3 FireCuda SSHD (ST1000DX002). I would also like to reinstall Windows and delete all my current files (I have already cloud saved all important files). I originally had Windows 7 and upgraded it to Windows 10 during the free upgrade period.

I was hoping to get some advice:

1. Will this SSHD work with my PC and does it seem like a reasonable choice?
  2. Would it work best to have Windows installed on the SSHD and games on both SSHD and HDD (if so do certain games run better off the SSHD?), or to keep my OS and document files on HDD and install games on SSHD?
  3. Is it possible for me to reinstall Windows 10 to its factory state and during this choose to format both drives and to choose which one to install it on?
Sorry if these are simple questions - just want to get it right :)

Thanks,

Marble

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY