[SOLVED] SSHD PCB Swap. Can't locate donor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 3, 2019
Hi guys! First post.

I'm trying to locate a Seagate Firecuda (ST2000LX001) SSHD donor board (100793567REVA).

I've looked at DonorDrives and HDDZone, but couldn't find one. I've ordered a drive from Amazon, but got unlucky and received a 100793567REVB, which, I don't want to really trust to swap chips on JUST in case.

Anyone know where I can find one? Thank you!

Solution
Those PCBs have an added complication due to the NAND flash. Sometimes the NAND becomes corrupted, with the result that the drive doesn't spin up. The solution is to initialise the NAND using a special command via the drive's terminal port.

Does your faulty PCB spin up the drive?
Those PCBs have an added complication due to the NAND flash. Sometimes the NAND becomes corrupted, with the result that the drive doesn't spin up. The solution is to initialise the NAND using a special command via the drive's terminal port.

Does your faulty PCB spin up the drive?

Solution
Mar 3, 2019
Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, no. The drive does not spin up with the faulty PCB. It did spin up with the REVB PCB, but it was undetectable by Disk Management or CMD or Clonezilla. I wanted to see if it at least did spin up, but I didn't expect it to be detectable.

AIUI, simply transferring the "ROM" from patient to donor will not work in your case (as it does for the non-SSHD PCBs). You could purchase a cheap USB-TTL adapter and examine the drive's diagnostic output via its terminal port. Make sure your adapter can handle 1.8V LVTTL levels.

There is more info at hddguru.com and hddoracle.com.

Mar 3, 2019
Here is one case where the PCB was recovered by initialising the NAND flash:

https://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35895

I don't know if the OP in that thread could have achieved the same end without a donor PCB, though.

What I've gathered from that pot and a few others is that sometimes the NAND can corrupt and cause the drive to not spin up. So, doing a init may fix it, depending on circumstances, which the log can help find.

I'm now having trouble finding an adapter. A see a lot of 3.3v and 5v adaptors, but no 1.8v. This is new territory to me, but I'm willing to learn about it. Good stuff to know.

kachmul2004

Prominent
Nov 4, 2017
What I've gathered from that pot and a few others is that sometimes the NAND can corrupt and cause the drive to not spin up. So, doing a init may fix it, depending on circumstances, which the log can help find.

I'm now having trouble finding an adapter. A see a lot of 3.3v and 5v adaptors, but no 1.8v. This is new territory to me, but I'm willing to learn about it. Good stuff to know.
hi there, where you able to get this sorted?

popatim

Titan
If you click onhis user name, you'll see that he hasn't been seen since march 7th. Try sending him a Private Message by clicking on his name and selecting "Start Conversation'

If you need assistance with your drive, please create a new thread.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.