[SOLVED] SSHD vs HDD + Optane?

Lil’bertz

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2014
im not planning to do this at all but im just curious about this comparison because both are almost the same on how they work (using solid state bla bla to store frequently used programs blabla) so im curious which is better or faster?

Solution
SSHD is usually not a good buy in this day and age. The real question would be, do you have the funds to move for an SSD + HDD solution or are you looking at an HDD+Optane option...? Also there's the matter about the board supporting what you want to do.

I'd get an SSD for the OS + app then get an HDD for storage.

Lutfij

Titan
SSHD is usually not a good buy in this day and age. The real question would be, do you have the funds to move for an SSD + HDD solution or are you looking at an HDD+Optane option...? Also there's the matter about the board supporting what you want to do.

Solution

Lil’bertz

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2014

i will definitely go for SSD + HDD option no brainer but like i said earlier im just curious if there is a difference if you’re using SSHD or HDD+Optane especially on laptops as i saw some cheap laptops have SSHD as both place for OS and File together and HDD with Optane with the same situation as the SSHD I mentioned earlier

and yes its bad idea to have the OS and your files at the same disk but laptops don’t get that memo though as most laptops have limited space to put one more drive