SSHD vs HDD vs SSD

Anthony82093

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2012
My HHD is failing on me and I need to replace it. I was going to get a large SSD to replace it because of always hearing all the pros with an SSD over HHD. But for 1tb its about 350 dollars which is outta my limit. So I planned on getting both an SSD(For windows and what not) and an HHD, but then I heard about the SSHD. Would an SSHD and SSD combo work well together? Or would it not really matter and I should just stick with a HHD and SSD? The HDD i have is about 1tb, so i figured getting another 1tb, plus a 250gb SDD for windows, and the things I use the most. I googled around a bit, and haven't found much on the SSHD's so I'm unsure how well they work. It's a gaming computer mainly. Any info is appreciated!

Solution
SSHD in a nutshell: take a standard hard drive, and add a small SSD (8-16GB). the ssd will store the most often used files for fast retrieval. when saving anything to HDD it will save to the fast SSD part, then move it to the HDD in the background. making the sshd appear to store faster than a HDD.

it is a single device take on SSD caching- which I recommend even to a standalone SSD. you can do this with the proper software and an SSD and a HDD.
The software will tell windows both devices are one, like an sshd, the storage on the SSD is much greater than an sshd's ssd, but the total storage available is the size of the hard drive. the software will cache all files needed for boot, program loads, most used game levels, etc. whatever you...
Just stick with HDD and SSD. You ONLY see performance increase on SSHD's on what ever files are accessed most and copies to the SSD Cashe on the drive. if it is a file that isn't on the SSD part then it will read like a normal HDD. ALL WRITING is HDD speeds. Only the Read can be SSD speeds on some files.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
SSHD in a nutshell: take a standard hard drive, and add a small SSD (8-16GB). the ssd will store the most often used files for fast retrieval. when saving anything to HDD it will save to the fast SSD part, then move it to the HDD in the background. making the sshd appear to store faster than a HDD.

it is a single device take on SSD caching- which I recommend even to a standalone SSD. you can do this with the proper software and an SSD and a HDD.
The software will tell windows both devices are one, like an sshd, the storage on the SSD is much greater than an sshd's ssd, but the total storage available is the size of the hard drive. the software will cache all files needed for boot, program loads, most used game levels, etc. whatever you use the most gets cached and changes as your uses do.

google: fancycache
google: ssd vs ssd cache

Solution

tmicheal

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016
Well it depends if you have a lot pf aplications that you would like to load fast an sshd would be a good option and it would be cheeper then ssd+hdd bur if you only have like a few games that you play and you want lightning fast boot up get ssd+hdd it will be more pricy but the few things you have on the ssd run super fast were as with sshd everything will run decently fast

But if you want fast all around and blazeing fast bootup and have the cash sshd+ssd will work but most peaple will not need this

tmicheal

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016
Also is did a little research on sshd in the past and i'm pretty sure they just store were the location of the files on the ssd not the actual files so the drive doesn't have to find them every time it needs them i knows were they are

tmicheal

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016
Ok so i did some more research and i agree with r_1 if you can you should get a hdd and an ssd and make it a dual drive hybrid but i still see hybrid drives as a good option

In a typical configuration the operating system, drivers, utilities, apps, software programs, and games are installed on an ssd. A second drive which is usually a mechanical hard disk drive is used for storing data files such as photos, videos, music, movies, additional games, and Windows backups.

Solid State Hybrid Drives are related to the early days of ssd's. The original idea developed by Intel was that for about $100.00 a user could purchase a small capacity ssd of about 10GB and use it as a cache for a hard disk drive. The operating system and all other files and data were installed on the hard drive. Nothing was installed on the ssd. Intel was thinking that if customers saw the potential benefits of using an ssd, then customers might be willing to purchase large capacity ssd's. Think of it as an advertising gimmick. Intel also determined that 60GB was the largest practical ssd cache. Anything larger than that worked better with the OS and applications installed on the ssd.

Things have changed quite a bit since the early days. Today, $100.00 is more than enough to purchase an excellent 256GB ssd and for about $150.00 one could purchase a 512GB ssd.

Seagate still manufactures SSHD's which are hard disk drives with an embedded small capacity ssd used as a cache. They work reasonably well but they are not very popular. The reason for the lack of popularity is the evolution of modern ssd's. We've come a long way during the last 10 years.

Since consumers can install the OS, applications, and games on larger capacity ssd's, there is no longer any reason to use an SSHD as a secondary drive. A hard disk drive will do just fine.

TRENDING THREADS