[SOLVED] SSHD vs SSD + HDD

advcha

Prominent
Jun 17, 2020
Hello,
I already have a SSD Samsung 860 EVO 256GB and old HDD Hitachi 500GB. I want to replace the HDD. I'm thinking of buying a SSHD Seagate Firecude 2 TB but I read many not good reviews about SSHD. So I'm thinking of buying a HDD Seagate Barracuda 2TB + SSD WD Blue 500GB.
Currently the SSD use Ubuntu and I want to try and install some virtualizations (virtualbox) on the new disk like Windows and Mac OSX. I have 48GB DDR4 RAM So I think it'd be no problem for the virtualization. For this, Is it better and enough to use just single SSHD or use SSD + HDD? it'd be price vs performance compromise. also not sure the virtualizations would be used very often. But I really need big storage to store and backup my data.
Any answer would be appreciated.

Solution
There really is no significant advantage to SSHDs, it seemed like a good idea but really never worked out to be that useful. Go with an SSD and HDD.

edit: and be careful buying HDDs right now -- make sure that you do not get an SMR drive, many manufacturers are sneaking them into their line up and not making it apparent.

RealBeast

Titan
There really is no significant advantage to SSHDs, it seemed like a good idea but really never worked out to be that useful. Go with an SSD and HDD.

edit: and be careful buying HDDs right now -- make sure that you do not get an SMR drive, many manufacturers are sneaking them into their line up and not making it apparent.

Reactions: advcha
Solution
The only value of a HDD is the lower cost per gb of storage.
It seems to me that you might as well go all ssd.
If your motherboard has a m.2 pcie slot, a 1tb intel 660P is $120.
Or, a 1tb samsung 860 QVO is about the same.
2tb drives cost about 2x as expected.

For backup, a HDD is excellent. But a good backup needs to be EXTERNAL.
A usb connected HDD for backup would be good.

Reactions: advcha

advcha

Prominent
Jun 17, 2020

Thanks for the warning. anything to know how to find out the SMR drive? is it from part number or serial number?. I have a plan to buy HDD Seagate Barracuda 2TB from the official store. it says 2 year warranty for it.

advcha

Prominent
Jun 17, 2020
The only value of a HDD is the lower cost per gb of storage.
It seems to me that you might as well go all ssd.
If your motherboard has a m.2 pcie slot, a 1tb intel 660P is $120.
Or, a 1tb samsung 860 QVO is about the same.
2tb drives cost about 2x as expected.

For backup, a HDD is excellent. But a good backup needs to be EXTERNAL.
A usb connected HDD for backup would be good.
Thanks. Yeah. I read the SSHD Seagate Firecuda 2TB specs. it seems like a combination of HDD 2TB and SSD 8 GB. With similar price I can get HDD 2TB + SSD 250 GB. Even a combination HDD 2TB + SSD 500 GB only a bit more expensive than the SSHD. With a limited budget, I'll go to the HDD and SSD combination.

advcha

Prominent
Jun 17, 2020
If you need big storage, then get big HDD. 2TB is not that much.
I think 2 TB is more than enough for me. I need it as a backup and to store my old files that sometime I need to open them. Actually I have an external hdd as well. but the internal disk is more comfortable without have to plug/unplug it :D

advcha

Prominent
Jun 17, 2020
Yes, some 2TB are SMR -- reaad THIS article.
Thanks for the link. I did a bit research about SMR. it says not good for hard disk reliability. I found WD blue 2TB WD20EZAZ is a SMR drive as well (https://forums.overclockers.com.au/...mr-in-some-wd-toshiba-seagate-drives.1281846/) but WD20EZRZ is not. It seems the EZAZ model is 4 years newer than the EZRZ and has better specs. Do you think I should choose the EZRZ model for personal use (store files, photos, movies, backup, etc)? is it reliability-wise better?
I asked a WD official store in my country and only EZAZ model is still available.

Last edited:

RealBeast

Titan
Thanks for the link. I did a bit research about SMR. it says not good for hard disk reliability. I found WD blue 2TB WD20EZAZ is a SMR drive as well (https://forums.overclockers.com.au/...mr-in-some-wd-toshiba-seagate-drives.1281846/) but WD20EZRZ is not. It seems the EZAZ model is 4 years newer than the EZRZ and has better specs. Do you think I should choose the EZRZ model for personal use (store files, photos, movies, backup, etc)? is it reliability-wise better?
I asked a WD official store in my country and only EZAZ model is still available.
I would buy an older PMR drive over a comparable SMR -- the writes after the first one to a sector will be quite slow with SMR, and reliability for other than archive use is an open question.