[SOLVED] SSHD

SeanK135

Reputable
Dec 29, 2019
so im looking to buy a new ssd to put in my pc for games but they are all a bit too expensive at the moment so anyway i came across some SSHD's and well these re all new to me but like are these drives any good for gaming like will they be able to keep up or am i better off to bite the dirt and buy a new ssd ( the SSHD im looking at it the seagate FireCuda 500gb drive on Amazon UK)

Solution
SSHDs aren't terrible, but they aren't very fast either. I have a 2 TB SSHD in my laptop and really should have just spent less on a standard 2 TB HDD. I use the drive for storage and that makes the caching system utterly useless. Now, if you used it as your OS drive the caching system would be used for the OS and common programs and would probably speed things up a little, but a full on SSD, even a small one with an additional storage drive, would be a much better idea.
SSHDs aren't terrible, but they aren't very fast either. I have a 2 TB SSHD in my laptop and really should have just spent less on a standard 2 TB HDD. I use the drive for storage and that makes the caching system utterly useless. Now, if you used it as your OS drive the caching system would be used for the OS and common programs and would probably speed things up a little, but a full on SSD, even a small one with an additional storage drive, would be a much better idea.

Reactions: mkaafy
Solution
I have a Firecuda 2TB in my laptop I bought years ago, it's SSD (or rather flash memory) component that makes it a 'HYBRID' is only good for when you're re-opening an application or re-calling previously opened files. The read and write speeds however are still slow HDD speeds.

If you're going for 500GB, these SSD's are not so bad for the price:
https://www.amazon.com/SK-hynix-Gol...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-NAND-50...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I’m not disputing the reliability issue, I’m one user so not exactly a representative sample. However I have a laptop with a Seagate Momentus XT in it and it’s been in use for a few years, it’s not what I’d call a heavily used laptop.

The drive made a big difference over the original HDD for booting Windows and a little with the snappiness in Windows but for loading less frequently used applications there was no improvement but you wouldn’t expect there to be.

TRENDING THREADS