SSHD'S superior to HDD?

GL9106

Commendable
Jun 30, 2016
I just want to know if the solid state hard drive is superior to the 7.2k rpm Hard drive since a SSHD is faster and can store more for a cheaper price. Or is it fake and doesn't actually work like that because it looks like it's too good to be true?

Solution
Well a SSHD is not entirely superior. The thing is, you have to actually use it to take advantage of the SSD side. It will try to store the most frequent use applications on the SSD. However, you cannot control it. So let's say you want GTAV on the SSD, you have to play it alot for it to be on the SSD side. So it does work, just not how you want it to. The 7200RPM isn't a bad deal. It gets the job done, and it's only $50 for 1TB. Sure it adds about 10-20 seconds of extra loading, but if that's the only con, then it should still be considered.

All in all, I would avoid SSHDs and just get a SSD+HDD combo for $150. This will allow you to have a 250GB SDD and a 1TB hard drive.
Well a SSHD is not entirely superior. The thing is, you have to actually use it to take advantage of the SSD side. It will try to store the most frequent use applications on the SSD. However, you cannot control it. So let's say you want GTAV on the SSD, you have to play it alot for it to be on the SSD side. So it does work, just not how you want it to. The 7200RPM isn't a bad deal. It gets the job done, and it's only $50 for 1TB. Sure it adds about 10-20 seconds of extra loading, but if that's the only con, then it should still be considered.

All in all, I would avoid SSHDs and just get a SSD+HDD combo for $150. This will allow you to have a 250GB SDD and a 1TB hard drive.

Solution

Well yeah, but you can get a WD SSD for $80. You have to understand that it is complete flash-based. So what's ever on it, is going to load fast. That's pretty cheap compared to what it was a fear years ago. If you want faster drives, you will pay more, it's simple math.

USAFRet

Titan

In terms of speed, slowest to fastest:
HDD
SSHD
SSD

And a lot of your determination relies on what you will be using it for.
You movie library or music playlist does not play any faster if it were on an SSHD.

Similarly, an SSD is fast across the whole capacity. An SSHD is 'fast' only in that data which resides on the small SSD portion.