SSID names not matching in router and windows pc

Nov 5, 2018
Hello,

as written in the title, I have an annoying issue in both a Vista and a Win 10 based pcs.

I have a Netgear router working with the network named "XXXX"

On both the computers I have the network visible and working, but with the name "XXXX 2".
No way to change it to match the SSID name in the router settings.

On the available wifi connections in Windows I see the correct SSID name, but when I connect the pc to the router I get the "XXXX 2" name in the properties of the network and passing the mouse on the wifi icon in the right below corner of the screen.

I have erased all the known networks from the windows lists and made a new connection, but nothing changes I can't get the correct SSID name.

I have also tried to change the name in the router, but if I return then to my original name i get the number 2 added to it.

What's going on?

Network is working, but I'd like to understand what is the issue.

Thanks

Nov 5, 2018

Hi, well, the name is not XXXX, it was just an example, the actual name is "Surfing" and what I get is "Surfing 2".
Netgear DNG2200v3 updated to last firmware.
The issue is present since before update, on vista pc and now on the new win 10 pc.
At first installation on the new pc I got the correct name but then changed with the 2 added to the name after some days.

Nov 5, 2018
Ok got the solution on another forum...

Press Start > Run

type REGEDIT > OK

Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles

Delete profiles for both your SSIDs (XXXX and XXXX 2)

Reboot the PC and connect to the wifi.

It worked, now the SSID names match!

You are confusing SSID with Windows network names.

SSID is strictly WIFI. Your XXXX 2 is Windows naming your LAN segment whens something changed (it thinks) and go "huh, this is different from what I know, so this must be a difference (changed) LAN so I will add a 2 to it."