Question SSID not showing

JJBandit

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2014
Hi Folks,

Hopefully this is the right place to ask this.

I recently got a new LG TV, one of the nanocell ones, to give a rough date of the device.

I'm trying to get my VPN working with it. As i don't have a VPN supported router, and the TV uses WebOS rather than android. I'm trying to use my desktop as a wireless hotspot, and share the VPN connection from there. It seems to work if i connect my phone to it. So should work with the TV.

However..

When i turn the hotspot on, on the computer, My phone can see the SSID, and connect. as can various other devices.

But the SSID doesn't show in the list of available connections on the TV.

If i turn my phones hotspot on, the TV will see the connection.

Does anyone have any ideas why the TV can't see the PC's hotspot?

A work around to what i'm trying to do would be to use the VPN on my phone, and use that connection, But i barely get 3G on my phone, so streaming (especially 4k) will be a little hit and miss.

Or, if anyone has any ideas as to any other methods i can setup an ad-hoc connection allowing my TV to use my PC's VPN'd connection, I'm open to suggestion.

Many thanks in advance

**edit

I do have my TV connected as a 3rd monitor, but netflix (for example) doesn;t seem to pick up that its a 4k device. And to be honest, I would prefer to use the TV rather than a web browser..

Hi Folks,

Hopefully this is the right place to ask this.

I recently got a new LG TV, one of the nanocell ones, to give a rough date of the device.

I'm trying to get my VPN working with it. As i don't have a VPN supported router, and the TV uses WebOS rather than android. I'm trying to use my desktop as a wireless hotspot, and share the VPN connection from there. It seems to work if i connect my phone to it. So should work with the TV.

However..

When i turn the hotspot on, on the computer, My phone can see the SSID, and connect. as can various other devices.

But the SSID doesn't show in the list of available connections on the TV.

If i turn my phones hotspot on, the TV will see the connection.

Does anyone have any ideas why the TV can't see the PC's hotspot?

A work around to what i'm trying to do would be to use the VPN on my phone, and use that connection, But i barely get 3G on my phone, so streaming (especially 4k) will be a little hit and miss.

Or, if anyone has any ideas as to any other methods i can setup an ad-hoc connection allowing my TV to use my PC's VPN'd connection, I'm open to suggestion.

Many thanks in advance

**edit

I do have my TV connected as a 3rd monitor, but netflix (for example) doesn;t seem to pick up that its a 4k device. And to be honest, I would prefer to use the TV rather than a web browser..
You can always get a router with VPN support as a extender and use that?