Question Stability issues?

Mar 2, 2020
Hi, its my first time asking a question on this website so forgive me if i'm using the wrong format.

My current PC build is
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X
GPU: ASUS Dual Fan GTX1060 6Gb OC
MOBO: ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming
RAM: 4x8GB (32Gb) DDR4 V-Color Prism 2 3600Mhz (Downclocked to 2666mhz)
PSU: Corsair CX650 Watt +80Plus Bronze
Storage: Crucial 1TB NVME SSD
250GB Western Digital SSD
1TB Hitachi HDD 7200RPM

My issue is that before my rig was exactly the same but i was only using 16Gbs, 1 2x8GB kit of the same memory listen above, and normally i was running it at 3600mhz and everything was fine, my CPU was overclocked about 8%, 4Ghz (If that makes any difference in my situation), andi had 0 issues, no crashes, no random bluescreens or anything.

but everything started going wrong as soon as i added another kit of the same exact memory modules, so i now have 32gbs of that V-Color Prism 2 memory.
i set everything to default, booted up windows, and it was fine, CPU Frequency at 3.70Ghz, Memory speed at 2666mhz, and so i reboot into the bios, and change my memory settings to 3600mhz, and tried to boot into windows, wouldnt post, went right back to bios, tried lowerin the frequency to 3400mhz, it posted, booted into windows but i recieved immediate bluescreen errors. Similar outcomes with lowering it between 3200mhz and 2800mhz) but if i leave my memory speed at 2666mhz, it is perfectly fine with no issues at all. My memory is all firmly seated, double checked for any damage to the pins or uneven sticks. I went as far as buying a duplicate memory kit (the same 2x8Gb kit), installed those in the new ram sticks place and i encountered the same issue.

if anyone has a clue as to why this is happening, or what i should swap out/change in y build, it would be greatly appreciated. i use this computer for Video editing, multitasking and some VR Gaming. any advice is helpful. Thanks in advance

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I wouldn't use that PSU around that build. Maybe something like a TX or an RM unit. What BIOS version are you working with on your Asus motherboard? Latest update for your OS? By setting the frequency, are you just dealing with the frequency and not touching the timings and voltages?

Reactions: ToreiK
Mar 2, 2020
Ive been using the 650watt psu as a backup since my 5yo 55watt psu died on me in my old setup.
im using Bios version 3003, its the newest one i found on the website. i updated the OS day before yesterday. so i have the lastest Windows 10 Pro Updates so i think im good there. and when i set the frequency in the bios it changes the timing automatically, i dont know exactly how to configure the timings myself, but when i set the frequency, the timings would change before i booted, i dont know if they're right but since they changed i assumed its correct.