Question Stable 144FPS - possible or not?

Feb 18, 2019
Hi,

I play a lot of FPS games - nowadays it's mostly Apex Legends or Overwatch.

Usually I stay at 140-ish FPS but sometimes i drop to 120 or even 100, and this is usually in large fights with lots of effects and explosions going around. It is also not unusual for my frames to drop to 110 somewhere and stay there for a while(usually depends on where I am on the map. If I look towards the edge = higher FPS. Looking towards the map, i can notice a drop of 20-30 frames, and it stays there.)

Some people might say they won't notice a difference but personally it makes a huge difference for me and it really puts me off. Is it / should it be possible to have a stable, non-dropping 144 FPS with this build?

GPU: Geforce GTX 1060 6GB (latest drivers)
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz
RAM: 16GB

If I missed some essential information about my setup, feel free to ask, I'm pretty new to this :)

Really thankful for help!

Feb 18, 2019
I can see that my GPU is at 0% usage when on Overwatch. Jumps up to 1% sometimes, but always 0.

Did not see any core hitting 100%, but average is around 50-60%

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019
So I've looked into it and it seems that the 0% GPU usage for Overwatch is a common bug. When using another software such as AIDA64 the GPU usage would hover around 50%. So the problem lies in task manager not showing the correct result.

I tried other games as well and task manager would say the GPU usage is at 80-100%, which further proves that claim.

This PC is around 6 years old, so are all components except the 1060. Is upgrading the processor worth it you reckon?

Been thinking about factory resetting it as well since i've accumulated so much crap over the years. Hard Drive almost full and I'm barely using a 10% of it every day.

I deeply appreciate you taking the time to help me by the way, thank you very much.