Stable AMD mobo?

G

Hallo Lads,

I am looking for a new MB. I used to have a Microstar for my celeron 466@525. This proved a huge mistake.
1. My SOundablaster Live was not compatible with this board.
2. I discovered later that Windows 98SE did not work with my MB.
3. My computer died in the arse just recently. (took out my powersupply to top it off.

What I want is a STABLE AND QUICK AMD MB to go with AMD 1Ghz CPU. Please help cos I cannot afford to get screwed by computer companies anymore. (AND DON'T MENTION MICROSTAR)

Scott

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
for a good stable easy to run board, try asus a7v133

or , if you are a bit adventurous, try the abit kt7a, which is great for overclocking.

I wish I had a signature.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The A7V series from Asus would be a good choice.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

if ya got the money, get the asus a7v or the abit kt7...

i personally like the msi k7t

also, iwill kk266 is GREAT (from what i hear) and the epox 8kta3 isn't too bad for it's price...

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
I have to ask, what MSI board did you have? And did you overclock anything? I really doubt the board just took a chit on its own!!!! But hey your choice on manufacturer. I suggest A7V133, have lots of good reviews, but I don't have one so its just what I read.

A revision to mpjesse's signature;
"My Signature Sucks"

ledzepp98

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i don't know if abit or asus are better but i would recommend epox based on my experience. in my experience, pcchips sucks! my gigabyte board was stable but didn't perform as well as others. my epox board performs well, has overclocking ability, and is stable as a rock, and at the time i bought it (ep-8kta+ a few months ago) saved me about $30 compared to the abit or asus. that's just my experience.

speedracer

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2001
I know you don't want to hear this, but don't let your disaster with your last MSI board condemn all of em'. All of the other recommendations are good boards. But if you're going to go with an Athlon-C, the K7T Turbo seems to be a good match. Here's a excerpt from a review of the board on ANANDTECH, at the bottom there's a link to the full review.

"Once again, during our 24-hour stress tests, the K7T Turbo system did not crash once. Compared to the two crashes by the ABIT and EPoX boards... Since we didn’t encountered any crashes at all for 24 hours, we decided to run the stability tests even longer on the K7T Turbo... Surprisingly, after running the system non-stop for more than 48 hours, we still did not encounter a single crash!"

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1410&p=8

Good luck with whatever board you decide on...

---
Speedracer

rfh1234

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2001
Stay away from ANYTHING with VIA (ie. ASUS A7V133) unless you don't need USB to work!!! If you use USB you will probably have to buy a PCI USB card to use USB reliably. Belkin F5U005 worked for me. But it made me sick to have to spend $40 to get a working USB port when my ASUS A7V133 came equipped with 4 of them!

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
USB work just fine for me and I have a USB speaker system. Meaning all sound data is passed via USB to my speaker system which has a DSP installed in it acting like a sound card. Joystick works fine also. I didn't even have a problem with my KX133 system (Abit KA7) with the USB. Where are these rumors coming from anyways? USB works, works good, works long, works reliably. Just because some devices don't work correctly doesn't mean the USB port is bad, how about bad device drivers or hardware.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 03/25/01 01:17 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

'Just because some devices don't work correctly doesn't mean the USB port is bad, how about bad device drivers or hardware.'

Dude,
It is the hardware I am bitching about. It's Microstar's fault I had soo many problems.

G

MS6199VA. Avoid it like the plague. I know two others who are unfortunate enough to have this board. They both are experiencing similar difficulties.

-prehaps the usb stuff can be explained but surely the inccompatibility with the major SoundCard manufacturer
and the crashes under 98SE cannot be explained.

Scott

G

I think I am going to run with Asus A7V133 and 1Ghz. Also 128 kingmax ram. I'll sell my Diamond Monster Sound Card and chuck in my ol' Soundblaster Live. Throw in a G-Force and hopefully everything will be sweet.

Thanks for your advice everyone.

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
I am planning on getting the MS-6341 K7 Master. I'll let you know of any problems with it that may conlude a trend with MSI boards. But one board is no reason to lable a brand, every brand has there "evil children".

A revision to mpjesse's signature;
"My Signature Sucks"