Stable OC but PC freezes on restarts

ScottyDontNZ

Reputable
Jun 4, 2015
Hey Guys

So I am OCing my i7 7700k. I have using a 120 AIO cooler on a Z270 Asrock Extreme 4 mobo with the latest firmware, Windows 10 and 16GB Crucial Balistix DDR4 @2400.

Vcore is at 1.25 and All cores running at 4.7Ghz. The issue I am having is that when I have to RESTART (not shutdown) my PC it will freeze and may blue screen after a while but often just stays frozen on a black screen and my screen shuts off and PC just stays running. I then have to hard reset and it will boot up fine. Blue screen viewer is not collecting any date as it just stays at 0% collecting. If I have a BSOD during operating for other non OC reason it also wont collecting data and wont auto restart, just freezes.

I have adjusted Vcore to be fixed at higher voltages which does sometimes fix the issue but not always and then of course I get higher temps. At 4.7Ghz I left vcore at auto and it was capping out at 1.205v. There has been times even on auto the PC would fail to restart. I was able to run aida64 at 5Ghz for over 2 hours with temps peaking into the high 80's, it then passed Intel burn Test, but failed to restart. What should I do?

ScottyDontNZ

Reputable
Jun 4, 2015
I have it set to level 1. The issues have now changed and no OC seems to be stable now once in games. I can pass Aida64 tests left on for 4 hours with good temps, and intel burn in test, but once I get into a game, or sometimes Alt tab, the screen just freezes. Just yesterday I done a complete clean install of Windows 10 on a m.2 drive and the issues persist. Even a very modest OC seems to cause my system to freeze. I have tried Asrock's recommended settings also for 4.7Ghz and still have the issue. I even managed a 5Ghz OC test in Aida64 for 4 hours, but then gaming freezes it.

ScottyDontNZ

Reputable
Jun 4, 2015
Even locking it at its Turbo speed of 4.6Ghz causes crashes. Either a screen freeze up or during alt tab my screen goes black but I still have sound from discord in the background. None of this happens when I run everything on auto stock.