Stable Overclock for Gigabyte from

sjf999

Reputable
Aug 3, 2016
So started to overclock my NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (Gigabyte) with core clock setting adjustments in MSI Afterburner. Inch by inch, seemed to get a stable 150 mhz overclock. Stress tested it with MSI Kombuster for a half hour. All is good.

However, ran Benchmark 3dMark, kept crashing. Dialed the core clock back down inch by inch, finally got a stable 3dmark run at only 50 mhz!.

Does this sound right, I am very new to overclocking and I just want to know if some cards can behave this way. Thanks in advance. My computer specs are below:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/K84LZjoRgC1r2fJ2J7PBpYF

Scott

Solution
Different benchmark stress the GPU in different ways. It was stable under the work that kombuster does, but not under 3dmark. Hope that makes more sense.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Try maxing the power limit, and running a more aggressive fan curve, to speed up the fan a bit more and keep temps lower, might allow you a bit more of an overclock.

That said, it sounds like you lost the silicon lottery. Overclocking is by no means guaranteed.

sjf999

Reputable
Aug 3, 2016

My GPU temp never went past 70 degrees Celsius with a 50% fan profile. So, I thought that wasn't too bad. But yes, I kinda figured I lost the "Silicon Lottery".

Thanks for your reply

sjf999

Reputable
Aug 3, 2016

Yes, I have the power limit and temp limit maxed out. I'll play around with the voltage a bit then. Thanks again.

sjf999

Reputable
Aug 3, 2016

Also, what didn't make sense it was so stable under the Kombuster stress test at 150 mhz for a half an hour but totally crapped out very early on in 3dmark with same settings

sjf999

Reputable
Aug 3, 2016

Thanks again for keeping up with my questions :) One more quick one for you. As I said I am new to this. Was using the MSI Afterburner to make the core clock changes. I saved the changes at 100 mhz and while I inched forward in 20 mhz increments, I thought I was saving the changes in between but they weren't, didn't realize until I hit 200 mhz, and then Kombuster crashed (I can't remember if system crashed and had to restart), so it jumped by 100 mhz between saves, when I reloaded and readjusted everything was just fine, temperatures never got past 68 degrees Celsius. Do you think I could have damaged the card? Again, stress tests and benchmarking was just fine afterwards. Thanks in advance