Stacking AIO Radiators?

Xenone

Reputable
May 19, 2016
So I had this idea for a while, and I'm wondering if it will work, because my case dosen't have space for two 240mm radiators, I'm wondering if I can take two 120mm ones that are thick, and stack them on the exhaust fan in the back? so a fan, static pressure one will push air into a radator, then thru the case, into another static pressure fan on the back of the case, and then thru another radiator, I drew a sketch incase I didn't explain it well
dd20c6580cf548189428e94ac1007b88.png

Will that work and if it will? How well? Will I be able to run overclock with this setup? And I'll propably also run the radiator hoes from the one at the back of the case thru PCIe case slots.

USAFRet

Titan
Issues:

1. This is to be all in one loop? For an AIO, how will you shunt the liquid to the second rad?
2. Turbulence. I forsee a LOT of bad airflow in the middle. It may be a bit more effective than a single 120mm, but nowhere near a 240mm.
3. Pump. A pump that comes with the 120mm system will struggle to push all that liquid through two rads.

Xenone

Reputable
May 19, 2016

I forgot to mention, both of the radiators are AIO and seperate, the one inside will be for CPU since it's close to it and the one on outside will be for GPU since the hoes will have to go thru a PCIe case slot so it will be right next to the GPU

I have also mentioned this idea to a friend in my local IT shop and told me the closes thing he has seen to this was people stacking thin 240mm radiotors and only using 2 120mm fans on the bottom one to push the air thru two of them and it work decently but he has no idea about the thick radiotors and he added this will work better if I make both radiots into a closed loop, get one powerfull pump and use that to cool down the CPU and GPU, and this would be more effective than two AIOs, do you have any thoughts on that?

Y'all overlooked one very important thing. The air, after passing through the first radiator, will have picked up a fair bit of heat, leaving it with far less ability to pick up more heat as it passes through the second radiator. Overall efficiency will be quite a bit less than having the radiators side-by-side. Not to mention that 2x120mm radiators are going to be far less efficient at heat removal than 2x240mm (unless, of course, you're running a chilled air system)

Xenone

Reputable
May 19, 2016

On the back, the holes are streched about a inch, so I could install the radiator on the inside to the highest point, and the one on the outside, quarter inch lower how to clear the screw from the inside, I took some pictures as an example:
22253bab15c047508cb103486e0d61d1.png

0521f68c363347f29c3808b2244b2ad6.png

In the worst case scenario, I can always get a dremal, and cut out a support beam in the front that is between my bottom intake fan, and top intake fan, then I can fit a 240mm radiator in the front and a thick 120mm in the back, I measured it out and the 240mm will fit in by drilling two holes on top and using two already existing ones on the bottom to screw it in.

Xenone

Reputable
May 19, 2016

Ofcourse, there's no doubt that the second radiator will run a bit hotter from the air passing thru the first one, but since two main components of the PC are watercooled, I'll have cold air coming in to the case by three fans, picking up three or four degrees from another components like ram and motherboard before going thru the radiators, plus my case is 85% sound proofed so I don't mind if my case fans run at 75% since I can barely hear them.

TRENDING THREADS