Stand off screws won't go through the case?

wingwangwiseau

Reputable
Dec 23, 2018
Since this is my first time building a pc, I've been working on it since 2 days ago. It's all going well until the 2 standoff screws won't go through the case. I've been trying very hard to tightly fit, but 1/2 of the screw is exposed. The case that I'm using is an Thermaltake Versa H18 and the motherboard is MSI B450 PRO-VDH. I have 2 questions about this,

1. Should I put the motherboard into the case even if the 2 standoff screw slots are empty?

2. I heard that pliers is good enough to tightly turn the screws towards the other side of the case. Should I use it in getting the stand off screws to screw properly?

HamBown81

Commendable
Aug 3, 2017
The hole(s) in the case may not be shaped perfectly, or you may have cross-threaded the standoffs on your first attempt. It is best not to install the motherboard with missing stand-offs, but could be okay depending on how well it is supported and which ones they are.

You can use a tool to install them (I have seen handy plastic ones that fit over top). You should be very careful, however, as they are easy to damage. If you are certain that they are threading properly, I would use some mechanical persuasion.

Have you confirmed whether it is the stand-off, or the hole that is the problem (by trying another one - or trying in another hole)?

I would double-check to see that there is nothing obstructing the hole as well.

wingwangwiseau

Reputable
Dec 23, 2018

Honestly I've checked the inside of the screw as well with the screwdriver I was using (H2.0), and I didn't see any scratches while trying to screw them. For the holes, I notice just a minor metal piece surrounding the hole, although there are other screws that are already intact with the small metal piece surrounding it. One person supposedly said that both screws are different then the screws that are pre-installed, even though the desktop manual says that the screws for the motherboard is standoff 6-32. For your answer on the question. I haven't got any luck in screwing them even if I put them in another hole that's supported for the standoffs. I have images below to show illustrated proof about this problem.

https://imgur.com/a/syk6ssx

One more question, I heard that you don't need to use all of the standoffs screws that's used to support the motherboard. The specs that I've mentioned previously makes me wonder if the motherboard would still be supported inside with the 2 standoff screws missing.