Question Standard GPU Ports

daalsat

Prominent
Feb 20, 2018
I'm looking to buy a WQHD monitor with 144hz. GPU is a Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970. For that Resolution and refresh rate I'd need Displayport 1.2 or higher.
Nvidia's website says 3x DP 1.2 for a GTX 970 while gigabyte doesn't say anything about that on their website, so I don't know what version of DP they built into their card.
Are those the port versions that are listed on Nvidia's website? Or can that vary?

daalsat

Prominent
Feb 20, 2018
Your 970 will have issues in newer games at 1440 at 144hz.
This is not about GPU performance but about their connectivity. The question is if the DisplayPort connectors allow 1440p @144hz.
Although I actually doubt that it will perform that well on 1440p. It is slightly below the GTX 1060 which is going to be sufficient I guess, but it only has 4GB of VRAM which can be very limiting at higher resolutions.

This is not about GPU performance but about their connectivity. The question is if the DisplayPort connectors allow 1440p @144hz.
Although I actually doubt that it will perform that well on 1440p. It is slightly below the GTX 1060 which is going to be sufficient I guess, but it only has 4GB of VRAM which can be very limiting at higher resolutions.

Yes, but the real question should be "is it actually worth getting the monitor with the current video card". A lot of times people don't ask the right question that is best for them. It would be useless for the connection spec to run at 144hz at 1440 if the card can only push 60 frames.

Unless the monitor is just being bought to have a nice monitor instead of actually try to use it at the full specs. 970 at 1440 should do 60hz fine in most games at medium settings. To get 120,144hz, should be a 1080 monitor.

Reactions: Rogue Leader

daalsat

Prominent
Feb 20, 2018
Yes, but the real question should be "is it actually worth getting the monitor with the current video card". A lot of times people don't ask the right question that is best for them. It would be useless for the connection spec to run at 144hz at 1440 if the card can only push 60 frames.

Unless the monitor is just being bought to have a nice monitor instead of actually try to use it at the full specs. 970 at 1440 should do 60hz fine in most games at medium settings. To get 120,144hz, should be a 1080 monitor.

Ok I get that.
The thing is, I need a decent monitor for both gaming (high refresh rates) and productivity - writing documents at higher resolutions is very satisfying. Gaming in higher resolutions could of course be problematic as it only has 4GB of VRAM. Some games at WQHD easily fill an RTX 2060's 6GB, so I might be looking to turn down the resolution for high Performance gaming.

Ok I get that.
The thing is, I need a decent monitor for both gaming (high refresh rates) and productivity - writing documents at higher resolutions is very satisfying. Gaming in higher resolutions could of course be problematic as it only has 4GB of VRAM. Some games at WQHD easily fill an RTX 2060's 6GB, so I might be looking to turn down the resolution for high Performance gaming.

It's also worth considering the games you'll be playing. Something easy to run like CS:GO would easily push 144hz on a 970, as will many older titles. The latest AAA releases though aren't going to on a 970 at that resolution.