Standard view vs extended view in MMC under Services.

This probably in the wrong group but I'll post it anyhow.

This is really driving me crazy: Two questions..
1) What is the real purpose of Standard view over Extended view?
2) Is there a way I can set the default to stay in Standard view?

Thanks...

sorry, this one is definately in the wrong group....I'll repost it in Windows..