[SOLVED] Standby led green/doesn't turn on after a surge

Dec 9, 2018
Specs:
I5 3570
Gtx 970
Asus b75m-a
8 gb ram ddr3
Lc6550 psu (got a brand new corsair cx 450m now)
Ssd a200 120gb (only got the os on it)
Western digital 2tb hdd
Windows 10

I was gaming when suddenly, my computer shut down and i heard sparks inside my pc followed by a lovely smell of burnt plastic. I left it alone for a bit. The standby led was green. Computer turned on for a few seconds then turned off. Then it kept turning on then off without me pressing the power button. I was using a LC6550 psu at that point and thought that it was the psu that got toasted. I bought a Corsair CX450M, started plugging everything back and... the exact same thing happened. It turned on for a bit then off.

I proceeded to remove the CMOS to clear it and put it back in a few hours later and now it wont even turn on at all.

I tried to unplug everything and breadboard it like its explained in the sticky but even with just the cpu, the 24 and 4/8 pin, it wont turn on.

I looked for signs of damage but i cant find anything wrong on it. No burnt mark, nothing.

Im guessing that means the mobo is dead ? Any idea how i could test other components to make sure i just need to replace the mobo ? Dont have another computer i can use sadly.

Assuming only the mobo died, the only replacements i found on amazon are chinese motherboards and they rarely ever mention who made it in the first place so im kinda scared of seeing the board burn my house after gaming for 30 minutes.

Solution
you are describing a fire.
Assume everything is toast and decide what components you want to keep.
Now considering you just toasted a brand new PSU that should have protection just in case something like this happens you are looking at extensive damage.
Considering that you have a 3rd generation intel you will have an incredibly hard time finding a working MB for it, or at least an MB that will work for 1 week and not burst into flames like yours just did.

It's tough but just accept the loss, make plans to buy a new PC.

Also make sure to check the GPU before plugging it in a new system. it might also be affected.

Andrei N

Honorable
Feb 22, 2016
you are describing a fire.
Assume everything is toast and decide what components you want to keep.
Now considering you just toasted a brand new PSU that should have protection just in case something like this happens you are looking at extensive damage.
Considering that you have a 3rd generation intel you will have an incredibly hard time finding a working MB for it, or at least an MB that will work for 1 week and not burst into flames like yours just did.

It's tough but just accept the loss, make plans to buy a new PC.

Also make sure to check the GPU before plugging it in a new system. it might also be affected.

Solution
Dec 9, 2018
The new psu is fine though ? It just showed the same result as the previous psu so i assumed that its the mb that died ?
The psu i had when the fire happened was the lc6550. New one i bought afterwards was the cx450m.
How do i check the gpu without plugging it in ? When the computer was turned on then turned off, the gpu leds lit up and the fans were running fine. Do you think it could still be affected ?

Im currently considering keeping the ram and gpu and getting a new mb and cpu. What would you recommend if you were in my shoes ? I can fork around 250euros this month and can add more next month.

Thanks for the quick reply by the way.

Andrei N

Honorable
Feb 22, 2016
Depending on your local prices you could get this at a tight budget:
you can even go for a cheaper MB that's on AM4 socket.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BZtLw6

As for the PSU and GPU, the GPU should not be able to damage new parts if it has a problem, the PSU might cause issues but since it's new you could try sending it to warranty for a check (it's a bit of a hack but you'd rather have them test it, maybe you might not want to mention the fire)

Dec 9, 2018
I ordered 2 days ago an i3 8100, an msi h310m pro vdh, corsair vengeance 8gb and a carbid 100r.

Wanted a new case so it was a good opportunity.
Thanks a lot man. If it wasnt for you, i would have bought the chinese board hahaha. At least now if something break or i want to uograde i can easily look for new parts.