Molly

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004

Is there anyway I can go into sandby or hibernation mode without signging off
of AIM or shutting down windows?

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

why? what is the point? that's kind of like saying, I want to turn off my
car, but I want to keep driving...

Molly

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004

first off i have a room mate that doesnt have a computer so i want to be able
to have some security by turning on the password prompt, and I want to be
able to stay connect online while im away during the way

"<©¿©>" wrote:

> why? what is the point? that's kind of like saying, I want to turn off my
> car, but I want to keep driving...

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

you are between a rock and a hard place...

I will assume that your computer is password protected...

right click someplace on your desktop, go to the "Screen Saver" tab, select
your favorite screen saver and place the check in the "On resume, password
protect", then click OK

there is a problem with this, you will have to set a time short enough to
give you protection, but if you sit a think a little bit, you will have to
keep typing your password.

Molly

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004

is there a way that just turns off the monitor without turning off windows?
and if so can that be password protected?

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

In the same place that you put the check mark for password, there is a
button on the lower right hand corner, set the time there to turn off the
monitor after the same amount of time as you had set for your screen saver
to come on.

A note, set to never turn off the hard drive...it takes a hell of a long
time for the computer to come up after a sleep. If it is a laptop, you can
have two different settings, one forplugged in and one for under battery
power. set the plugged in time for never and the battery time to the same
time as all the rest of the power off events.

Tasslehoff

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2004

Yeah it's the power button on the screensaver tab under display properties
if your monitor isn't 15 years old. Just change the setting from never to
turn off monitor after ** minutes. But it should be set like that by
default if your monitor supports it.

"molly" <molly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> is there a way that just turns off the monitor without turning off
> windows?
> and if so can that be password protected?

TRENDING THREADS