Star Citizen Shatters $3 Million Crowd Funding Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

karash5050

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Star Citizen and several other crowd-funded titles appear to be the way forward for future PC games. That is to say there doesn't need to be a publisher in place when there digital distribution systems, notably Steam. This is my opinion of course...

SC has my support! Warframe and Strike Suit Zero, too!

fuxxnuts

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
does anyone else think while it seems like a potentially promising game that all this hype about startup funding may end up dwarfing the game in the end?

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
[citation][nom]pliskin1[/nom]I honestly thought this would be farther than $3 million by now.[/citation]
It's at $3,129,199 right now. You should know Tom's is kinda delayed by now.

I already pledged and I'm thinking about pledging again to get cheap copys of the game for my buddys so they can play with me. (they are $30 now, compaired to the $60 they are going to be selling for at launch, plus thouse copys get extra free stuff in-game as well.)

kinda shocked that Tom's didn't say that both people get a shot at free stuff for both ends of the referral program.

the rewards are as follows for program:

GRAND PRIZE (one awarded to the user with the most recruits)

(1) Alienware Aurora Desktop*
(1) Oculus Rift headset
(1) Logitech G940 HOTAS setup
(1) Idris-class corvette in Star Citizen to serve as your command ship

RUNNERS UP (six awarded to the users with the most recruits)

(1) NVIDIA GTX670 graphics card
(1) Logitech F710 Game Pad
(1) Anvil Gladiator Bomber in Star Citizen

RECRUIT PRIZE (one awarded by drawing among recruit entrants)

(1) NVIDIA GTX680 graphics card
(1) Logitech G940 HOTAS setup

Daily Prize packages

(awarded randomly from a pool of anyone with at least one recruit that day):

(1) Logitech F710 Game Pad

(awarded randomly from a pool of anyone recruited that day):

(1) Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick
(1) Pack of 1000 In-Game Credits

If anyone cares, my refer link is: http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/?rid=33672

as for the desktop they are offering, here are the specs.

*Aurora Desktop specifications:

PROCESSOR 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3820 (10M Cache, Overclocked up to 4.1 GHz)
OPERATING SYSTEM Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English
MEMORY 16GB (4 X 4GB) Quad Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz
VIDEO CARD 2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 680
HARD DRIVE 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3Gb/s
SOUND CARD Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
OPTICAL DRIVE Single Drive: 24X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability

G

Spread the word! Pledge like there was no tomorrow! We can make $4 million!

I really hope they support Linux later on, it would be an awesome addition to my games list on Ubuntu.
This is, to put it mildly, not at all likely. Star Citizen will use the CryEngine 3 graphics engine, which is (currently) only available for Windows (and game consoles). A Linux version of SC can in fact ONLY happen if CryTek decide to port CryEngine to Linux, which it obviously totally out of RSI's hands.

Afrospinach

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2012
[citation][nom]karash5050[/nom]Star Citizen and several other crowd-funded titles appear to be the way forward for future PC games. That is to say there doesn't need to be a publisher in place when there digital distribution systems, notably Steam. This is my opinion of course...SC has my support! Warframe and Strike Suit Zero, too![/citation]

I think probably more likely to trigger a rethink from the big publishers about consumer alienation rather than become a standard imo. Remember these publishers do a lot of marketing and such to get their titles out there which are not necessarily accessible to smaller guys and most of the notable crowd funding efforts have been from developers who are well known because of this. As it stands crowd funding is a little messy and I don't think it will take to many failures to shake peoples confidence in the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.