Star Fire II Found!

David Rolfe, the programmer for Exidy's Star Fire and Fire One as well as
numerous console games, has dug up the ROM image for the final Star Fire
version. This was intended to go into the last run of Star Fire units,
possibly for export. The title screen identifies it as "Star Fire II", and
new features include a more refined high score display and easier high score
input. (Has anybody ever seen one of these units in the field?) The original
Star Fire was famous for being the game that first brought us high score
initials and started the high score craze! He has sent me the files for use
in testing or repairing Star Fire boards.

He considers this the final version of Star Fire rather than a new game. I
guess they were under some pressure to keep the rom count down originally.
He mentioned that as the pots got older it got almost impossible to enter
your initials due to jitter, I guess this will fix that.

So who here has a star fire? That's one of the exidy boards I don't have
yet, I'd definitely like to at some point.

Dave

---

I'm guessing they can be played in MAME (?) Can you put the roms up
somewhere for d/l?

Here's a DP link to an interview with him from last year:
http://www.digitpress.com/archives/interview_rolfe.htm

"D Widel" <pacman@mystupidjob.com> wrote in message
> David Rolfe, the programmer for Exidy's Star Fire and Fire One as well as
> numerous console games, has dug up the ROM image for the final Star Fire
> version. This was intended to go into the last run of Star Fire units,
> possibly for export. The title screen identifies it as "Star Fire II", and
> new features include a more refined high score display and easier high
score
> input. (Has anybody ever seen one of these units in the field?) The
original
> Star Fire was famous for being the game that first brought us high score
> initials and started the high score craze! He has sent me the files for
use
> in testing or repairing Star Fire boards.
>
> He considers this the final version of Star Fire rather than a new game.
> guess they were under some pressure to keep the rom count down originally.
> He mentioned that as the pots got older it got almost impossible to enter
> your initials due to jitter, I guess this will fix that.
>
> So who here has a star fire? That's one of the exidy boards I don't have
> yet, I'd definitely like to at some point.
>
> Dave
>

> ---

"D Widel" <pacman@mystupidjob.com> wrote in

> So who here has a star fire? That's one of the exidy boards I don't
> have yet, I'd definitely like to at some point.

Being a young'un, I never had the opportunity to sample this in the wild,
so I looked it up in Mame. Gee...I wonder where they got the inspiration
for this game? :D

--
Do you want a free Gaming Console?
http://consoles.prizecube.com/?ref=12216

"Peale" <apeale69@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "D Widel" <pacman@mystupidjob.com> wrote in
>
> > So who here has a star fire? That's one of the exidy boards I don't
> > have yet, I'd definitely like to at some point.
>
> Being a young'un, I never had the opportunity to sample this in the wild,
> so I looked it up in Mame. Gee...I wonder where they got the inspiration
> for this game? :D

Yes, me either. He told me they were hoping to get a star wars license or
fix it later if they didn't. I guess nobody complained. :)

---

It has more roms that star fire, so it won't run from it's driver. It will
probably be in the next mame release.

---