Star size limit

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

If you have hugely heavy stars in your GURPS Space or Traveller campaign, you
might be interested in the following quote from an article about the Hubble
telescope at
http://edition.cnn.com/2005/TECH/space/03/09/hubble.reut/index.html

Even as Hubble's fate was debated, scientists using data gathered by the old
craft reported that they had discovered an upper weight limit for stars.

Previously, astronomers had theorized that the heaviest stars might range up
to 1,000 times the mass of our sun. But the latest research indicates that
stars cannot get any larger than about 150 solar masses.

To get this result, scientists studied Hubble data from the Arches star
cluster, about 25,000 light-years from Earth in the hub of the Milky Way.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

Astronomers have believed for decades that there must be an upper limit
the size of stars, because above a certain size they would produce such

intense light in their interiors that the pressure from this light
would blow
them apart. But the size at which this happens depends on the details
of the model, e.g. how opaque the gas in the star is. Now we're
starting
to get some observations to narrow the size limit down, which should
help to refine the models of stellar structure and improve our
understanding
of star formation and evolution.

--- Brian