Star Trek MMORPG Goes Online Q1 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrHectorEric

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
Making a game with Star Trek in the title is going to be either really successful or completely flop, there really is no middle ground and its got big shoes to fill.

Any word on price? Is it free or subscription based? Is it a one time pay for the game and play as long as you want, or it is like WoW where you have to buy the game then keep paying to play it?

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Star Trek is not the kind of movie series that lends itself well to a game. Star Wars was practically written to be an RPG with the Jedi learning all sorts of skills as they grow up. All of the Star Wars movies could pretty easily make their own game whereas almost none of the Star Trek movies could I imagine being made into a compelling game.

The universe is big but I just can't figure out what in the world you are going to do in it while staying true to what "Star Trek" is all about.

I see major failing in the future of this game.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Hmmm Star wars seems more appealing now... Star Trek would be like some pop band travelling around space meeting and aweing aliens with their crappy enterprise ship.... Id love to see a single X-wing destroy that....

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I hope it doesn't tarnish the great Start Trek name. Kirk and Picard were great, Janeway was decent, Deepspace 9 was a failure, Archer was alright, and while the movie was good, it seemingly had very little actually in common with Star Trek.

killakenny

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
finally, an RPG I can get excited about (I might get flamed but I couldn't care about WoW. I want to take part in a futuristic game world, not a medievil one.)

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
I smell fanboism.

All the people who think a Star Wars RPG is so much better, you may be right, but you already have a million games already, so whats the big deal with having a game for the benefit of Star Trek fans?

As far as games tarnishing a good Star Trek name there has been dozens of shit Star Trek games, as there have been shit Star Wars games too in the past, but the size of their respective Universes allows a very rich content.
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]while the movie was good, it seemingly had very little actually in common with Star Trek.[/citation]
It had everything from the original Star Trek
Kirk screws a beautiful alien girl
Kirk has a one-on-one fight with a huge alien monster
The no-name guy in the red shirt gets creamed on the mission
Bones complains about transporters

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
I personally would like to see this game run more like Guild Wars, with a fixed purchase cost and regular expansions as they open up quadrants with wormholes, etc

No subscription!!! You will get plenty of cash from a game sale and add-ons.

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]I hope it doesn't tarnish the great Start Trek name. Kirk and Picard were great, Janeway was decent, Deepspace 9 was a failure, Archer was alright, and while the movie was good, it seemingly had very little actually in common with Star Trek.[/citation]

You'd be surprised, Deep Space 9 wins a lot of fan polls, especially for it's seasons after the second. It basically created the Star Trek arc concept, in that one episode leads to another for many episodes (not just two-parters).

As anamaniac says, the movie is very Star Trek, more of it's original roots than many other of the latest movies/series have been.

[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Star Trek is not the kind of movie series that lends itself well to a game. Star Wars was practically written to be an RPG with the Jedi learning all sorts of skills as they grow up. All of the Star Wars movies could pretty easily make their own game whereas almost none of the Star Trek movies could I imagine being made into a compelling game. The universe is big but I just can't figure out what in the world you are going to do in it while staying true to what "Star Trek" is all about. I see major failing in the future of this game.[/citation]

What is Star Trek all about? There are many facets of Star Trek, that go beyond a captain and his ship. Mystery, intrigue, back-stabbing politicians, and so on. The actual "world" of Star Trek is much more than the paradise that is often portrayed on TV. Maybe mystical skills as with Jedi wouldn't show up as much in Star Trek, but engineering, diplomatic, military, privateering and other more traditional skills do.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]nirvanabah[/nom]Cool, another MMORPG to be destroyed by WoW...companies are silly to think they can compete with Blizzard.[/citation]
Thank God we have you to guide us, OK guys, down tools! We dont need to finish this game now, Blizzard is obviously too powerful and nobody wants to play anything else apart from World Of Wartard. If only you had told us sooner and I wouldnt have wasted time and money looking anywhere else.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]nirvanabah[/nom]Cool, another MMORPG to be destroyed by WoW...companies are silly to think they can compete with Blizzard.[/citation]
Me and my kids play WoW (Horde FTW!) and have a lot of fun. But I'm still looking forward to Star Trek Online. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Another thing to consider is this. You could start your own software company and be successful WITHOUT having to BEAT Microsoft or Blizzard or whomever. You could be a small fry and still make more money than you could possibly imagine. There is plenty to go around.

Computer_Lots

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
This doesn't really have anything to do with Star Trek, but how in the world can Intel graphics be compared to Nvidia 7950 in the system requirements. If Intel graphics can play this game, then a Geforce 5200 can do it.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007

Too bad WoW isn't the best, just the best marketed.
Go run another 10-man for the billionth time, have fun with that.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
I can see various non-Federation races being the subject of characters with various character development styles.

Ferengi - Elite style trading system with bartering skills and material gain as you level up
Klingon - A hand to hand combat system with enhanced weapons and moves as you level up

The sheer depth of races available for users, should the designers not stick to a limited "human only" systems is huge

Star Wars may hint at the number of differant races in their universe, but they are nowhere near as deeply described as they are in Star Trek

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_races

I personally want to play as a Breen or a Species 8472

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
This mmo is gonna be a pay to play I would put money on that. If not it wouldn't get a second look from me anyways. It'd be just another pos guild wars.

I'd glady pay 15$ a month for a game with good servers, rich enviroment, good updates. A lot of people whine about WOW and say it sucks blah blah blah.. That's just cause it's so damn popular more people to hate on it. I hope star trek follows their trend. As in lots of updates, and content patches, and few expanions.

nirvanabah

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
I like how you all assume I play WoW...lol. For the record, I don't. I used to (before the first expansion). I just know the powerhouse that is Blizzard and all the other MMO's that have failed miserably since it arrived. Its rather sad really...

Status
Not open for further replies.