Star Trek Online Going F2P Later This Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

fonzy

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
I couldn't get into ST online, I don't know how much it has change since I stop playing it but I thought it was boring and didn't feel like a star trek game. I'm more excited for ST Excalibur(free) it won't be an MMO but the Visuals look awesome.

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
I was playing the beta version of ST: Online, but I have to admit that the developers indeed made improvements to the game since it's official launch (a bit overdue to be honest because all of this should have been present back then).

I was contemplating on getting the game because I like Star Trek a lot, however, to be honest, I don't particularly like MMO's because they are bland for the most part (plus I prefer Singe Player games), more of the same, and the monthly paying model is not my cup of tea (that's a big turn-off).

If it goes F2P then I might pick it up to see what extra changes were made.

G

Free to play? What about those who have bought the life time subscription of have been ther since the start of the game? I sure hope they do something for us.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Derkfett[/nom]Free to play? What about those who have bought the life time subscription of have been ther since the start of the game? I sure hope they do something for us.[/citation]
Sure, they will say a prayer to Jesus for you, sucker!

__Miguel_

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
[citation][nom]Derkfett[/nom]Free to play? What about those who have bought the life time subscription of have been ther since the start of the game? I sure hope they do something for us.[/citation]
Well, in those cases there are usually advantages for paying customers. F2P doesn't mean they'll drop subscriptions altogether.

For example, they can provide paying customers with extra perks, like exclusive items or abilities, or early access to new game content. City of Heroes is already pointing that way, check it out.

My guess is they'll be (ab)using publicity on the free accounts, and also use them as "jump points" to paying customers. Something similar (not the same, obviously, but same principle) to Facebook games: they are free to play, but once you get hooked, you'll be more inclined to make micro-payments (or, in this case, a paying subscriber).

Cheers.

Miguel

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]bin1127[/nom]Well you can beam Me up Scotty.[/citation]

"Snotty beamed me TWICE yesterday. It was wonderful."

Hope I didn't mangle that too much...

samely

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
[citation][nom]__Miguel_[/nom]Well, in those cases there are usually advantages for paying customers. F2P doesn't mean they'll drop subscriptions altogether.For example, they can provide paying customers with extra perks, like exclusive items or abilities, or early access to new game content. City of Heroes is already pointing that way, check it out.My guess is they'll be (ab)using publicity on the free accounts, and also use them as "jump points" to paying customers. Something similar (not the same, obviously, but same principle) to Facebook games: they are free to play, but once you get hooked, you'll be more inclined to make micro-payments (or, in this case, a paying subscriber).Cheers.Miguel[/citation]
This is exactly right. It's a hybrid model, and most F2P games actually go this way.

jednx01

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
I might actually give this a shot if it goes F2P. I always wanted to try this game, but I really dislike paying monthly subscriptions....

ksharp25

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I'll pick it back up....providing their F2P is NOT like the Everquest II Extended F2P model. Often times F2P means you dont get access to your server, character, or items you had as a former subscriber. You cant even use the same installed client. You have to download a whole new client, start characters over, and live in a world "separate" from subscribing players. When I learned EQ2 went F2P I got all excited about logging back in and picking up on my Paladin where I left off...only to see...no. Had to download a new client, roll a new character and play on special "f2P servers" separate from the others. This made it a very limited exp with a very limited community of other players.

So I am stoked about STO going F2P..IF and ONLY IF I get to launch my already installed client, hop back on the characters I already made and continue on playing with the rest of the universe as it was only now without subscribing monthly. If I have to re-roll all new characters on servers just designated F2P locking me off from my old friends and contacts in game...no thank you.

ShigMan

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
As long as Perfect World Entertainment doesnt mangle this game with "Chance Box" microtransactions that provide a 0.0001% chance of payoff, and lock all the decent items, i.e. anything that cost Cryptic Points in the old model inside, this game might be viable as a F2P. I would be upset if the "chance box" makes it into this game, that thing is a blight on F2P games.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009

It's why I avoid F2P games. They start out free, but the only way to advance and enjoy the game is to make the micro-payments to buy the stuff you need. To me its more annoying than simply paying a monthly subscription.

__Miguel_

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
[citation][nom]GreaseMonkey_62[/nom]It's why I avoid F2P games. They start out free, but the only way to advance and enjoy the game is to make the micro-payments to buy the stuff you need. To me its more annoying than simply paying a monthly subscription.[/citation]
AFAIK, micro-payments are more likely to happen on games like those over on FB. They know those are rather casual games, you don't (or shouldn't... lol) spend hours playing them.

MMORPGs, on the other hand, are more time-consuming, and the subscription model tends to work better on them (you know, having to pay over and over again on a long play-through would quickly find people looking at their wallets... ;)), which is why I believe this one will be subscription-based, not micro-payment.

I sure hope they'll open up the whole world, though... I just tried LEGO Universe (LEGO fan!), and just as I was advancing to the "decent" stuff, you know, right after the tutorial part (still, about two hours worth of gaming), it goes and tells me "Wait, you have to become a member (read: pay) to access the rest of the game"... I can live with restricted options (like less XP gain, no access to rare stuff or perks), but confining me to a single block of land... Why? Hopefully STO will not make that mistake...

Cheers.

Miguel

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
So sick of micro transactions ruining games. Creating a vurtual world which parallels the sad reality of the real world where rich have the advantage and poor are screwed.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Beta tested it, was decent and fun when it came to space combat.
Land combat was dreadful. They also had annoying exploration missions which were basically land on a planet, walk around to scan a few things and then beam back up with no combat or challenge involved. I wish I was making that last part up but I truly am not.

I would only play again if they did a major overhaul when comes to the land missions and combat but I severely doubt they did. If I was part of the development team I would leave STO out of my resume because of how shameful this major aspect of the game turned out.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]GreaseMonkey_62[/nom]It's why I avoid F2P games. They start out free, but the only way to advance and enjoy the game is to make the micro-payments to buy the stuff you need. To me its more annoying than simply paying a monthly subscription.[/citation]

you should give champion's online a try or conan ,or crime craft : bleedout

their micro paymetns only seem to be on non essitials (except champions which seell all manner ofa bilities :( why i lost interest )

but so far my expreince with conana nd craime craft bleed out , ahve been good and all thsomicor sale extrra's are just that frivolous extrra's taht arnt required to enjoy the game.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]jednx01[/nom]I might actually give this a shot if it goes F2P. I always wanted to try this game, but I really dislike paying monthly subscriptions....[/citation]

cheeers i'm teh smae way , and on occasion if i really like a F2P game imigth actualy buys a of teh extras for them

__Miguel_

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
Hmm, I just realized something... It might be slightly OT, since in a game like STO it would look WAAAAY off (well, depending on how you do it, of course...), but have they considered in-game, non-intrusive publicity? I'm sure it would be a way to either fund F2P or to lower subscriptions, no?

I think SimCity already did that a few years ago, where you would actually see publicity billboards for real-world products and brands spread through the city... Why don't they just do that in-game? I mean, in CoH it would look normal (it's a city environment, after all), and with some tweaks I'm sure even STO or a middle-age-themed MMORPG might be able to squeeze in the concept...

Hopefully, it will be something discreet, like optional or no sound, static images or optional video, and restricted to certain areas of the LANDSCAPE (the smartphone publicity model irks me to no end, a permanent publicity area is a no-no ...)

What do you guys think?

Cheers.

Miguel

Status
Not open for further replies.