[SOLVED] Star Wars Battlefront II (EA) choppy fps/stuttering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 6, 2020
Alright I know there are many many many threads all over the internet about FPS drops and stuttering so lets start with system specs. HP Omen 17": RX580 (8GB), i7 7700HQ (2.8GHz), 12GB RAM, (insert slow HDD name here)...

Now onto what I've seen in testing every combo of settings for 4 days: no CPU usage spikes, no disk usage spikes, no RAM usage spikes, no GPU usage spikes (just the usual 100% on the 3D). No matter what settings I change the only thing that even remotely helps is dropping my resolution scale to 75% or less. Or changing to a resolution way lower than 1080p (Yet I can run BF1 on high settings 1080p??)... Let me also mention 1080p with 75% resolution scale works on high and ultra but 1080p with 100% resolution scale on low has stuttering...

Things I've tried outside of game to help: toggle the shader cache on and off, frame rate target control, v-sync on, v-sync off, free sync on, enhanced sync on, power management options including AMD powerplay options, changing priority in task manager, running game as admin, running origin as admin, origin overlay off, cloud saves off, share usage data off, DDU and reinstall of different driver versions, windows reinstall. (May have forgot a few other things I've tried considering how much I've been trying to fix this game)

Anything helps, if I've tried it already I'll let you know. Thanks guys/girls!

Solution
In my post I said everything I tried. Including v-sync

Well, you say you are using a slow HDD as the storage. Really, all HDD's are slow, obsolete for gaming at the very least. This is why we are now seeing the next batch of game consoles finally progressing into the modern era from HDD to SSD. I would get a good SSD drive and see if that works as a process of elimination. Make sure you install both your operating system and your games, whatever applications you plan on using on your SSD or it won't make a difference. I recommend you buy a 2TB SSD knowing how much space just one game can swallow up. This is the one I'm using linked below.

Link: Samsung - 860 QVO 2TB
If by chance you're using W10, do you have Game Mode turned on? It's said to be one of the main causes of stuttering in this game.

I have played it a fair bit if you're referring to the 2017 version, and have no stuttering. I always have Game Mode off though.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020
If by chance you're using W10, do you have Game Mode turned on? It's said to be one of the main causes of stuttering in this game.

I have played it a fair bit if you're referring to the 2017 version, and have no stuttering. I always have Game Mode off though.
I have the Game Bar and Game Mode turned off

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
In my post I said everything I tried. Including v-sync

Well, you say you are using a slow HDD as the storage. Really, all HDD's are slow, obsolete for gaming at the very least. This is why we are now seeing the next batch of game consoles finally progressing into the modern era from HDD to SSD. I would get a good SSD drive and see if that works as a process of elimination. Make sure you install both your operating system and your games, whatever applications you plan on using on your SSD or it won't make a difference. I recommend you buy a 2TB SSD knowing how much space just one game can swallow up. This is the one I'm using linked below.

Solution
Jan 6, 2020

I don't have $200 nor should I need to spend $200 to play 1080p low.....

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
I don't have $200 nor should I need to spend $200 to play 1080p low.....

Star Wars Battlefront 2 even at 1080P is a very demanding game. Your HDD would probably be more up to the task if you were playing it on an Xbox One X because video games are much easier to optimize on the console than on a PC. The kind of issues people come here with you just don't see with the same games on the console nearly as much if at all. I remember the demo for this game being kind of choppy for me as well with my old PC using HDD. I haven't played the game since, but I'm betting it will run buttery smooth now. There could be other reasons why the game isn't performing well, but you still need to address your storage device first, its very important. There are cheaper options than what I gave you, but understand that they are cheaper mainly because they have less storage space.

Link: List of SSD's

Well, you say you are using a slow HDD as the storage. Really, all HDD's are slow, obsolete for gaming at the very least.
Please don't mislead people looking for help into believing they need a SSD drive to run every game they play. That's just absurd. :rolleyes:

I happen to have a pretty fast NVMe drive, and I know from experience there are many games where you get little if any FPS benefit from installing them on a solid state drive.

I say this because OP is specifically referring to performance issues, mainly FPS related. Now you ARE going to get better level load times with an SSD, which can be critical and even an advantage when playing MP, but performance wise the gains are very minimal and usually more related to smoothness than FPS.

Last edited:

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
Please don't mislead people looking for help into believing they need a SSD drive to run every game they play. That's just absurd. :rolleyes:

I happen to have a pretty fast NVMe drive, and I know from experience there are many games where you get little if any FPS benefit from installing them on a solid state drive.

I say this because OP is specifically referring to performance issues, mainly FPS related. Now you ARE going to get better level load times with an SSD, which can be critical and even an advantage when playing MP, but performance wise the gains are very minimal and usually more related to smoothness than FPS.

Yes, smoothness, if the game is constantly loading textures into the vram at a pace the storage device can't keep up with, it will cause stuttering for sure, to the point of the game being unplayable, which is his issue. This is only absurd for someone with little understanding of how PC's work. He is clearly bottle necked by his HDD, and I'm certain if he bench marked his PC the results will show exactly that. Your little personal "experiences" means very little, "experience" varies from person to person, PC to PC, and PC's are very mickey mouse, very fickle, not always performing as advertised.

Your little personal "experiences" means very little, "experience" varies from person to person, PC to PC, and PC's are very mickey mouse, very fickle, not always performing as advertised.
You really talk like a schmuck for someone pretending to offer help. There's nothing "little" about my experience, and I've run the game mentioned on both type drives.

Your berating and belittling both OP and myself only makes you look like the idiot here.

Again OP, an SSD does not work the miracles this one pretends. Even in a game as detailed as Ghost Recobn Wildlands, a fast drive (and I'm talking 3400Mb/s speed) does very little to smooth out the hitching.

Jan 6, 2020
Guys please stop fighting on my post. I'm going to buy an m.2 to run my OS at the very least and if that doesn't help I will put Battlefront on the SSD as well. I will keep everyone posted just no more fighting. Calm, good vibes.

Status
Not open for further replies.