News Star Wars Jedi: Survivor Requires a Staggering 155GB of Drive Space

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i'd personally rather download it in sections. maybe the first 3rd and then get second 3rd once finished an so on. don't need all that sitting on my drive at once anyway.

or i'm sure there is a natural spot or 3 in the game where an "intermission" to download the next piece would be welcome to remind some to go outside for a few minutes. at least long enough to grab some more dr. pepper and doritos!! :)

magbarn

Reputable
Dec 9, 2020
The nice thing is that directstorage is still a pipe dream so you can get by with cheap NVME QLC for gaming. I've got 2x2TB of Intel 670p's for gaming at $80 each. I also have a 2TB $100 Solidigm P41 Plus rocking in the PS5. XSX storage expansion options are horrible right now.

Reactions: Order 66
It appears the game devs have made some last minute changes, since the previous storage requirement was listed as 130 GB on STEAM. Rest of the specs remain the same. Steam has also updated this info now.

Old Specs:

Star-Wars-Jedi-Survivor-PC-requirements.png

My first PC gaming year was 1998 after being nothing but a console gamer since an Atari 2600 gotten for Christmas in 1982. For that new PC, I had Quake II and Half Life 1. I was blown away by the graphics on a Dell 19" 1600x1200 CRT monitor over the PS1 and N64 on a 480P tube TV. The first and only ever OEM PC I bought for dedicated gaming, a Dell D333 with a Pentium II and Riva TNT GPU, came with a 4.3GB HDD. To memory refresh, 1997's Quake II was 45MB and 1998's HL1 which was more than triple that at 150MB. I still have the original discs (and that Dell 333 and 19" CRT). The jump to 150MB for a game back in the late 1990s caused quite the stir.

Fast forward to today, and MSFS requires nearly 130GB just for admission to entry with each new update adding more GB every few months. The storage space requirement for COD Modern Warfare Warzone is 175GB and Red Dead Redemption 2 is 150GB with Forza Horizon being 110GB. Not long ago people were aghast at 50-75GB games, especially on consoles. The bottom line is that I don't see any difference in these ever increased storage space numbers compared to the past when each new generation of game was programmed for higher and higher resolution textures for higher resolution monitors, bigger open worlds, and of course exponentially increased complexity of texturing for more realism.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sluggotg

anonymousdude

Distinguished
i'd personally rather download it in sections. maybe the first 3rd and then get second 3rd once finished an so on. don't need all that sitting on my drive at once anyway.

or i'm sure there is a natural spot or 3 in the game where an "intermission" to download the next piece would be welcome to remind some to go outside for a few minutes. at least long enough to grab some more dr. pepper and doritos!! :)

Do you mean it would delete the previous third or just download things as needed? In the case of the latter consoles already kind of do this. You can start the game once the minimum assets are downloaded/installed and the restcof the game will download in the background.

The thing that would bother me the most about this is the download time. I have 3TB of SSD space so 155GB wouldn't be anything terrible. I also move games that I'm not using to an 8TB HDD that I use specifically for that purpose.

Last edited:
Reactions: Order 66
Kind of weird that they could consider old wav files at this age.
They claimed at the time that using something like MP3 would be too costly in terms of compute power.

WAV for sound effects I can understand, they're short and they should be ready to go at a moment's notice. But something like, I dunno, cutscene dialog? Nah, I don't buy their argument. Plus what makes their argument even less convincing is MP3s were used in Nintendo 64 games like Perfect Dark (it has a license acknowledge on the boot screen for it).

DavidLejdar

Notable
Sep 11, 2022
Middle-earth: Shadow of War can have a similar size, with the optional packs for 4K cinematics and for high resolution textures.
I would say though that for many gamers on PC, the storage issue will actually be the least problem hardware-wise. Looking at the Steam Survey results, nearly 46% have below 8 GB VRAM, and more than 50% have a CPU with below 3 Ghz - so many are not having the minimum requirements for Jedi Survivor.

Reactions: Avro Arrow

InvalidError

Titan
Looking at the Steam Survey results, nearly 46% have below 8 GB VRAM, and more than 50% have a CPU with below 3 Ghz - so many are not having the minimum requirements for Jedi Survivor.
Looking at the Steam Survey, "Simplified Chinese" gained 25% and now accounts for 50% of Steam installs, double what it used to be. There has been a drastic change in sampling distribution.

Sluggotg

Honorable
Feb 17, 2019
Dragon's Lair for the Amiga took up 10 Megs on my hard drive back in the day. ( A $500, 120meg drive ). Some of my friends with PCs were offended that one game could take that much space. Games will keep getting bigger. There are many games that are very compact, (by modern standards). I find lots of Gems on GOG.

D

Deleted member 2838871

Dragon's Lair for the Amiga took up 10 Megs on my hard drive back in the day. ( A $500, 120meg drive ). Some of my friends with PCs were offended that one game could take that much space. Games will keep getting bigger. There are many games that are very compact, (by modern standards). I find lots of Gems on GOG.

Ahhhh... the Amiga. My first computer... Amiga 500 in 1988.

I think my favorite game was Stunt Car Racer.

Reactions: Sluggotg

JTWrenn

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
This is just lazy coding. It's expanding everything to make it faster and not using smart asset management and new codecs to lower storage costs. It's ridiculous, and they need to reign this in.