Star Wars: The Old Republic May Go Free-To-Play

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

theroguex

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]airborne11b[/nom]There is nothing wrong with battlelog OR origin (it works exactly the same as steam)[/citation]

lol Battlelog works NOTHING like Steam. WON was a better matchmaking system/server browser/launcher than Battlelog.

If you don't know what WON is, you are no longer qualified to be in this conversation. :p

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
1st, I used to use WON for the original Half Life and CS.

2nd, Battlelog works just fine. You can sort by specific levels, game modes, amount of players, ping, HC/NonHC mode, etc etc.

It works perfectly fine. My only complaint about it is that sometimes it has issues displaying server ping, but outside of that issue, it's fine.

Any people who cry about it are bads who are just looking to complain.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
I just hate hearing all the complaints about Origin / Battlelog. They do the job. Download the game, connect you to servers and allow you to review your stats and player history.

I personally prefer steam, but steam has been running much longer, and has had much more time to improve.

Sure I like steams friends-list system better then Battlelog, but it's not like it's a bad interface. Complaining about nothing is what you do best as far as I can tell.

As far as BF3 itself I stand by what I said about BF3 being amazing.

The maps like Metro, and the new CQ expansion levels are a lot of fun for fast paced CS/CoD style game play. The destructible environments are extremely nice. The vehicle filled Conquest maps are huge and amazing. Graphics are top notch. BF3 is the best thing that's happened to the PC in a long time.

Sure BF3 doesn't have the most amazing physics, but the destructible environments are much more important to the FPS gameplay then physics ever will be. Metro 2033 has a good physics engine, and look what that does for the game! A couple of Heavy-Object lever puzzles?... whoopty-doo.

SWTOR was a good game as well, sold millions of copies, and brought the Mass Effect style story telling to the MMO genre. Frankly I think it should have spent more time catering to the multiplayer experience, instead of coddling Solo-players, but that's my personal opinion. But the game itself was fun and as a KOTOR fan it was a nice addition to the MMO world.

Hate on EA all you want. Truth is they make great games. Feel free not to buy em if you don't like em.

theroguex

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
BF3 is a great game. I love it. I just think that a browser-based matchmaker/launcher is like taking a step in a totally wrong and weird direction. Why couldn't they build that interface into the game? You know, like was in Battlefield 2 (and pretty much every other FPS). It's clumsy and feels like a cheap way to cut costs.

Pennanen

Honorable
May 29, 2012
[citation][nom]airborne11b[/nom]I just hate hearing all the complaints about Origin / Battlelog. They do the job. Download the game, connect you to servers and allow you to review your stats and player history.I personally prefer steam, but steam has been running much longer, and has had much more time to improve. Sure I like steams friends-list system better then Battlelog, but it's not like it's a bad interface. Complaining about nothing is what you do best as far as I can tell. As far as BF3 itself I stand by what I said about BF3 being amazing.The maps like Metro, and the new CQ expansion levels are a lot of fun for fast paced CS/CoD style game play. The destructible environments are extremely nice. The vehicle filled Conquest maps are huge and amazing. Graphics are top notch. BF3 is the best thing that's happened to the PC in a long time.Sure BF3 doesn't have the most amazing physics, but the destructible environments are much more important to the FPS gameplay then physics ever will be. Metro 2033 has a good physics engine, and look what that does for the game! A couple of Heavy-Object lever puzzles?... whoopty-doo. SWTOR was a good game as well, sold millions of copies, and brought the Mass Effect style story telling to the MMO genre. Frankly I think it should have spent more time catering to the multiplayer experience, instead of coddling Solo-players, but that's my personal opinion. But the game itself was fun and as a KOTOR fan it was a nice addition to the MMO world.Hate on EA all you want. Truth is they make great games. Feel free not to buy em if you don't like em.[/citation]

Sorry but an94 has identical damage compared to m16a3 except its slower, has more recoil and sucks in every aspect compared to m16.

Old republic was not a success. They spent 300 million to develope a voice acted mmorpg but backed it up with HORRIBLE writing. Old republic has one of the worst dialogues in gaming history, ever.

Also the bf3 destructibles arent amazing, they are preset and get boring after seeing the same wall get destroyed the exact same way 5th time.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]airborne11b[/nom]I just hate hearing all the complaints about Origin / Battlelog. They do the job. Download the game, connect you to servers and allow you to review your stats and player history.I personally prefer steam, but steam has been running much longer, and has had much more time to improve. Sure I like steams friends-list system better then Battlelog, but it's not like it's a bad interface. Complaining about nothing is what you do best as far as I can tell. As far as BF3 itself I stand by what I said about BF3 being amazing.The maps like Metro, and the new CQ expansion levels are a lot of fun for fast paced CS/CoD style game play. The destructible environments are extremely nice. The vehicle filled Conquest maps are huge and amazing. Graphics are top notch. BF3 is the best thing that's happened to the PC in a long time.Sure BF3 doesn't have the most amazing physics, but the destructible environments are much more important to the FPS gameplay then physics ever will be. Metro 2033 has a good physics engine, and look what that does for the game! A couple of Heavy-Object lever puzzles?... whoopty-doo. SWTOR was a good game as well, sold millions of copies, and brought the Mass Effect style story telling to the MMO genre. Frankly I think it should have spent more time catering to the multiplayer experience, instead of coddling Solo-players, but that's my personal opinion. But the game itself was fun and as a KOTOR fan it was a nice addition to the MMO world.Hate on EA all you want. Truth is they make great games. Feel free not to buy em if you don't like em.[/citation]Launching Bf3 from browser is GAY, 1 Origin is enough for DRM, why need Browser?

theroguex

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]cobra5000[/nom]DC Universe Online is the best, free-to-play, MMO out there. Especially for PVP![/citation]

LOLWAT?

[citation][nom]Xatos [/nom]Diablo 3.

R.I.P everything else until D3's time has come and gone.[/citation]

We're talking about MMOs here, not plain-jane multiplayer games.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
what makes me laugh is all the people who told me that this was going to dethrone WoW... I don't get to play as much as I used ot but having played both i decided to stick with WoW they are both fun but WoW just had more to do

G

In order to competetive play a F2P you must spend ALOT of money! So, in essence it is NOT free to play. Specially if they limit the "f2p" areas and access to content (look at eq2). The one succesful F2P game I have played is DDO, in wich you can earn store credits and unlock almost everything that costs money. That is a good version of F2P.

Personally, I take a monthly sub before a F2P game, becasue it is CHEAPER. And for the record, it was stated before ToR was released that in order to make a profit, then needed 500.000 subscribers. So, with the 1.2million subs they have now, they ARE making a profit. Maybe not as much as that huge behemot called WoW does. And it is unfair for every new mmo to be compared to that behemot. BEFORE WoW came out, a succesfull MMO was a game that had over 500.000 subs. Nowaday, a succesfull MMO seems to be when it has the same number of subs as WoW.

Also, someone mentioned SWG, and I take SWG (pre-NGE ofcourse) ANYDAY to anyother MMO out there! Hell, if SoE would put up a single pre-NGE SWG server, I would gladly pay ALOT for it! (one of the best mmo's ever)

radon_antila

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]So tell me again, what's so great about EA again?[/citation]

The fact that they still support PC gaming despite the constant whining of self-centered gamers such as yourself.

Gamers such as yourself:

1) want EA to crash and burn
2) want Activision Blizzard to crash and burn
3) want Ubisoft to crash and burn

... and yet these publishers practically control the market for AAA PC Games!

If they're not making AAA games gamers such as yourself consider "quality", that's because there aren't enough of you to justify the dozens of millions it now takes to do so, as opposed to the 'golden age' of the 90's to early 2000's when AAA games only cost a few million. This a business reality.

I'm a PC Gamer, and while there are many, many reasons to dislike the Big Three, I would rather live in their world, than in a world where the Big Three is Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo.

TL;DR: The segment of gamers where jkflipflop98 belongs is no longer worth the cost and effort to satisfy, so the AAA game companies have stopped trying.

G

Like others have said, If they implement a good F2P model I'll give it a try. I was always wary of trying MMOs due to time commitment, but I discovered LoTRO as a F2P game and was really impressed. I may not subscribe every month, but I have paid for every expansion and even subscribed for a few months to unlock certain perks so they've made quite a but of money from me. The model where you can unlock game features using earned in game points is also really nice - and gives you a choice if you are prepared to grind for a bit. If this is implemented for STWOR it may turn it around for EA. I think Turbine were happy with the outcome and continue to provide content via questpacks and expansions so they obviously think the model works. Not all F2P games are rubbish.

sliaf

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
but just because a company wants to use their own distributing program

This is not true at all. EA refused to sell DLC packs to Steam customers who had already purchased the game. Valve removed EA from Steam because they are a company with morals.

Get your facts straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.