Star Wars: TOR Confirmed for 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
I hope they have unlimited free trial (limited to lv 10 or whatever) but free for life trial. I prefer hourly game time (not monthly) or even daily but I'm hoping too much.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
I hope the game isn't just WoW with a Star Wars skin. I also hope there is something more to the game than story, something that will keep me playing when the stories run out. I hope it's actually an MMO, and not just an online rpg with a monthly fee.

TheDuke

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
hope the beta starts by May or June so it can have ample time to get those game breaking bugs. great thing about games is that they have helped my patience grow because of the long waits after announcement to release

Sicundercover

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
Well from what Ive seen so far it looks like its going to be pretty good.

With that said, man this is the last thing I need. I love Star Wars and can be succored in by just about anything Star Wars with a Bioware logo on it. I already ruined one marriage with Eve Online. Must Resist the shiny Bioware logo.

mjello

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Give me a founders subscription like Lord of the rings online and im all in.

I hate monthly fees. I would rather pay a lot once and then never again.

gilbertfh

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
I personally can't wait for TOR to come out. People complain about WOW but it has evolved over time and any good MMORPG takes a lot of lessons from what Blizz and all the other MMO have learned. That being said it will be hard to give it a completely unique feel and no matter what people will compare it to WoW for both good and bad aspects.

Xzar

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
WoW had very good graphics by 2004 standards.

SWTOR has all the good features that Dragon Age has, such as:

-origin quest lines for each class
-future quest lines change depending on how you do earlier quests
-quests seem to have multiple solutions
-you can play evil, or good, whatever floats your boat, it's not linear like other mmorpgs
-fully voiced dialogue

Just reading the wiki for SWTOR had me sold. I am not a fan of the Star Wars movies(nor a hater, just never watched them except for when I was a kid), but The Old Republic setting looks very interesting.

However, the completely SHI-TTY animations totally blew me off. I am not particularly picky, I don't demand Crysis or Far Cry 2 level graphics, but after seeing the good graphics and art of Dragon Age, I want something at least as good:

-considering SWTOR will be completed 2 years later
-SWTOR also has access to Dragon's Age code, since they are from the same company

NO REASON for SWTOR to have the main character running around like he's CONSTIPATED. Just terrible animation and blocky graphics lacking details.

Why not use the good stuff you have in Dragon Age and build from there??? This is beyond me why they can't do at least that. Improve, don't regress Bioware...

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]mjello[/nom]Give me a founders subscription like Lord of the rings online and im all in.I hate monthly fees. I would rather pay a lot once and then never again.[/citation]
Amen.

If you're only going to play for a month, it gouges you, but if you play for years, it saves you tons of green. =D
I played WoW for 2 years... $20x24months +$40 for game and $40 for expac = $over $500.

I have high hopes for this, and in all hope, they don't make some boring peice of junk, or something more addictive than cocaine...

gnesterenko

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]Amen.If you're only going to play for a month, it gouges you, but if you play for years, it saves you tons of green. =DI played WoW for 2 years... $20x24months +$40 for game and $40 for expac = $over $500.[/citation]

Ahem, what about opportunity costs of 2 years playing of WoW? In other words, how much have you lost by playing WoW and not persuing other endevours? If your only alternative is to play other games, then yes, you have saved money. If on the other hand, you did some excercisng and maybe started a small business instead, then WoW cost you a LOT more then $500...

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

hannibal

Distinguished
The games mechanic is going to be a guite a lot WOW like, icon based system. Maybe the not so good succes of Conan, makes the company a guite conservative. Otherwice free lightsaber hack and slash would have been an interesting option.
The complete voice acting is a "big" new thing.
In anyway, interesting to see how this game develop during the coming year.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]gnesterenko[/nom]Ahem, what about opportunity costs of 2 years playing of WoW? In other words, how much have you lost by playing WoW and not persuing other endevours? If your only alternative is to play other games, then yes, you have saved money. If on the other hand, you did some excercisng and maybe started a small business instead, then WoW cost you a LOT more then $500...[/citation]
Your comment is very pejorative. Because someone said they played a game for 2 years, you're assuming that it's the ONLY thing they ever did? I'm starting my third year into WoW but it's hardly the only thing I do. I have a full-time job, I work out 30mins a day, I play pool 2 times a week, I cook, I speak 2 languages, etc.

I don't mean to brag, I just want to give some slack to gamers. Try to know people before judging them.

Hope Slayer

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
I'm excited about this game but if it takes another 18 months to come out I'd say being that it is from Bioware it should be worth the wait. They took 5 years to develope the first Never Winter Nights game, and I think almost if not longer for Dragon Age. This is their first MMO to my understanding and cannot blame them for wanting to make sure it launches with as little drama as possible. If your familiar with how they develope their games then you'd have to agree that when it does go live it might just be one of the most immersive games ever.

Just my personal opinion but I will admit I'm a big Bioware fan. Their worst games for the most part smack the faces of most other developers best games around with ease.

maximaniac

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
I can see this in a good light; Bioware is known for releasing high quality games (Mass Effect, Dragon Age, and of course KOTOR). Yes, it sucks we have to wait a full year, but that gives Bioware that much more time to polish it up and squash the bugs before release. Age of Conan is a prime example of a game released too early and it turned alot of people away. They're trying to play catch up now by offering that lifetime free trial up to lvl 20. I don't think Bioware wants that to happen.

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
I love SW's games, but i am not going to pay a monthly fee after i paid the store for the damn game. I think MMO's with monthly subscriptions should be sold for $10. If you play the game for a year or more they made more than a non-mmo game. JMO

Xzar

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
http://www.massively.com/2009/08/25/nearly-20min-worth-of-swtor-gameplay-video/

look at the GC 2009 Walkthrough pt. 2

At 3:05 you can see some running footage
at 3:20 he starts swinging his lightsaber, pay attention to how constipated he looks when he moves around with a sword

seriously, WoW animations looked funny, swtor just looks goofy and retarded

Xzar

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
[citation][nom]HavoCnMe[/nom]I love SW's games, but i am not going to pay a monthly fee after i paid the store for the damn game. I think MMO's with monthly subscriptions should be sold for $10. If you play the game for a year or more they made more than a non-mmo game. JMO[/citation]

Bioware is charging 5 dollars for a 30 mins quest sold as a DLC for Dragon Age. They will surely charge a monthly fee since millions of gamers are used to doing it for WoW.

BTW, Bioware missed the deadline for that small DLC twice already. They even released it, then stopped releasing it because of technical issues. So I don't expect this game to be done in Spring 2011, more like Q4 2011.

vincenz0

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
look at the GC 2009 Walkthrough pt. 2

At 3:05 you can see some running footage
at 3:20 he starts swinging his lightsaber, pay attention to how constipated he looks when he moves around with a sword

Im pretty sure it is going to look a lot better two years from now!

Status
Not open for further replies.