Star Wars: TOR Free to Play Weekend Starts Thursday

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't appreciate Bioware/EA's greed on this one. Either free to start (included in first monthly fee) or no monthly fees with offline play mode (like Diablo II's offline mode). I really wanted a KOTOR 3, but I will NOT pay $15 a month for it when I don't even want online play.

Either way--thanks for the first free crack sample this weekend EA. Next one's on me, I guess?

malicemizer

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
[citation][nom]dalauder[/nom]I don't appreciate Bioware/EA's greed on this one. Either free to start (included in first monthly fee) or no monthly fees with offline play mode (like Diablo II's offline mode). I really wanted a KOTOR 3, but I will NOT pay $15 a month for it when I don't even want online play.Either way--thanks for the first free crack sample this weekend EA. Next one's on me, I guess?[/citation]
Dang you complain a lot dude. If you don't want to play online than don't play mmorpgs.

ringzero

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
[citation][nom]dalauder[/nom]I don't appreciate Bioware/EA's greed on this one. Either free to start (included in first monthly fee) or no monthly fees with offline play mode (like Diablo II's offline mode). I really wanted a KOTOR 3, but I will NOT pay $15 a month for it when I don't even want online play.Either way--thanks for the first free crack sample this weekend EA. Next one's on me, I guess?[/citation]

Yeah, I'm confused by this comment. You want an MMO, but without the multiplayer or online aspects?

SWTOR is a super fun game. It's addicting and the voice-acting and storylines are superb. That said, after 3 months of play I've grown bored and ended my subscription. Overall it really did prove to be too much like an RPG with almost no social interaction and none of the complexity and end-game difficulty of a normal MMO. There's nothing to keep me hooked except rerolling new characters over and over again.

But it's a free weekend. There's no reason to not try that out.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]ringzero[/nom]Yeah, I'm confused by this comment. You want an MMO, but without the multiplayer or online aspects?SWTOR is a super fun game. It's addicting and the voice-acting and storylines are superb. That said, after 3 months of play I've grown bored and ended my subscription. Overall it really did prove to be too much like an RPG with almost no social interaction and none of the complexity and end-game difficulty of a normal MMO. There's nothing to keep me hooked except rerolling new characters over and over again.But it's a free weekend. There's no reason to not try that out.[/citation]

his coment is this.

he enjoyed knights of the old republic games.
he wants a third one
swtor is basically kotor 3
he doesn't want to pay a monthly fee for a game that he will treat like a single player game.

malicemizer

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Ya I waited till the minute to refresh the page to try out swtor. Instantly says, "Star Wars: The Old Republic Weekend Pass Free Trial is no longer available." Awesome customer service or should I say a slap in the face to new customers. I was excited but now im annoyed, is this something ea does a lot?

malicemizer

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
[citation][nom]Maximumdrive[/nom]Aaaaand the trial is closed. WTF?[/citation]
I know how you feel. Maybe this was a gimmick to get people excited to play then there like, "UHM ACTUALLY PAY THE 50 BUCKS IF YOU WANT TO PLAY". lawl.

Gamer-girl

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
The free weekend just started about 30 mins ago. The server is probably overloaded. I just got a friend invite for a 7 day trial was downloading at around 1MB/s when it suddenly slowed down to ~250KB/s at the last 150MB >.<

It was has downloaded 2GB (video files) and 11GB (main assets 1) so far if anyone wants to know. I missed a 4.7GB English file too, there are also a few smaller ones. Total is 18.5GB

malicemizer

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
[citation][nom]Gamer-girl[/nom]The free weekend just started about 30 mins ago. The server is probably overloaded. I just got a friend invite for a 7 day trial was downloading at around 1MB/s when it suddenly slowed down to ~250KB/s at the last 150MB >.<It was has downloaded 2GB (video files) and 11GB (main assets 1) so far if anyone wants to know.[/citation]
Ya works for me now, prolly going to be a long download but im going to get up extra early so I can play before my classes.

[citation][nom]malicemizer[/nom]Dang you complain a lot dude. If you don't want to play online than don't play mmorpgs.[/citation]I don't play MMORPG's. That's why I want offline KOTOR 3 (like KOTOR 1 & 2) like Diablo II could be played offline. As alidan said, I never wanted SWTOR, but it's the closest I'm gonna get to KOTOR 3.

But I do think asking $50 when you expect people to pay $15 monthly is kind of greedy. The game should come free if you commit to something like 3 months sign-up.

G

[citation][nom]dalauder[/nom]I don't play MMORPG's. That's why I want offline KOTOR 3 (like KOTOR 1 & 2) like Diablo II could be played offline. As alidan said, I never wanted SWTOR, but it's the closest I'm gonna get to KOTOR 3.But I do think asking $50 when you expect people to pay $15 monthly is kind of greedy. The game should come free if you commit to something like 3 months sign-up.[/citation]
I agree with you completely. KOTOR will always be my favourite RPG, had a better story than all the Star Wars prequels combined. I loved having dual lightsabers and pressing x (i think) and having them spin around. KOTOR 2 has ok,buggy as hell and felt like a step back and more like the prequel, and the story was disappointing.

officeguy

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
I love Star Wars, but I won't let them suck me into paying 15$ a month when the free weekend ends. I will wait till it is free to play like EQII.

G

[citation][nom]officeguy[/nom]I love Star Wars, but I won't let them suck me into paying 15$ a month when the free weekend ends. I will wait till it is free to play like EQII.[/citation]

Good luck with that it won't be "FTP" until they have milked every last penny from it.

punnar

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
They can charge $50 for the game and $15.00/per month for subscription because they can; and they will keep doing that as long as they are making money from it. I don't mind paying because I know I will have fun playing the game. I paid the same amount playing WOW for years untill it became boring to me then I canceled my subscription.

Can't blame people for making money off something they spent money on to develop. In the end though, it's all about money. Would you work for free?

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Just sounds like the ramblings of a lot of children in this comments section. Children who think nothing is fair, and there is no justice in the world. Oh, aren't we all the innocent and just ones?

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I would rather play a subscription-based MMORPG than any F2P (or, rather, pay-to-win) model out there. At least I know up front what I am paying for my entertainment value, rather than being nickle-and-dimed for every little piece of content. On top of that, as it is a fixed price, I can fit it into my entertainment budget and not even think twice.

If you can complain about the subscription, then guess what? Go get a real job and start earning some money. $15 a month is nothing to pony up for 6-8 hours of entertainment each week, and I know a lot of people play much more than that.

itguy_nyc

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
I agree. 15 bucks a month is the standard subscription price for these types of games for the past 10 years.

Give it a try. The game is fun and I think the trial weekend will get some people to buy the game. Go Bounty HUnter all the way :)

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
For the 50 beans you get the first month... so if you play hard you could complete the entire quest line for a character in that time and then cancel your subscription giving you the equivelant of most sp games.

I played WoW for a few months a while back and got bored pretty quickly... I realized that I'm not really an mmo gamer, I like the SP rich story experience of games like Skyrim. The social aspects of WoW didn't appeal to me, and the story is basically useless and unconnected with gameplay. SWTOR is different, it's got class storylines that are pretty decent... not SP depth, but a LOT more depth than other MMO's. I play pretty regularly and it took me more than a month to comlete the Sith Marauder quest line and get to endgame content (and there are 8 classes). You could go through the entire game to L50 content with NO social interaction... just doing everything solo... and have a good time doing it.

G

This is a terrible game...absolutely horrid on so many levels. This coming from a guy that play swg for like 6 years.

imgooch

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
I don't understand the fee structure of mmo's. First you pay $50/$60 for a game, then you pay $15/month on top....then they have the balls to charge for new content? So first, if it's a free weekend, why would I pay the initial $50 when I already have the game? I know other mmo's don't do that and it makes sense. $15/month is wayyyy more than enough. And what is that even for? What makes it worth a monthly fee? I don't pay a monthly fee to play MW online. So the only reason would be new content right? Well then why do they charge for new content packs! Like Cataclysm and whatever else WoW screwed people for... I'm really not understanding what is being paid for by the monthly fee.

If I pay for the game initially and each additional pack then ok. If I pay a monthly fee only and get the game and updates ok. But not both.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
[citation][nom]ringzero[/nom]Yeah, I'm confused by this comment. You want an MMO, but without the multiplayer or online aspects?SWTOR is a super fun game. It's addicting and the voice-acting and storylines are superb. That said, after 3 months of play I've grown bored and ended my subscription. Overall it really did prove to be too much like an RPG with almost no social interaction and none of the complexity and end-game difficulty of a normal MMO. There's nothing to keep me hooked except rerolling new characters over and over again.But it's a free weekend. There's no reason to not try that out.[/citation]

I get his comment fine. Especially since I played both KoTOR and SW:TOR. SW:TOR felt in a lot of ways like a spiritual successor to KoTOR, but in a way that it felt like the devs were like "We want to make a Knights of the Old Republic single player game, but they're holding a gun to my head and saying it has to be an MMO."

itguy_nyc

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
So far they have released new content as a free patch and they are planning a huge update with new content in a few weeks(patch 1.2) that is free. This is what the subscription pays for. That is not to say hey may in the future create a full expansion of the game and charge for it.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
[citation][nom]IMGooch[/nom]I don't understand the fee structure of mmo's. First you pay $50/$60 for a game, then you pay $15/month on top....then they have the balls to charge for new content? So first, if it's a free weekend, why would I pay the initial $50 when I already have the game? I know other mmo's don't do that and it makes sense. $15/month is wayyyy more than enough. And what is that even for? What makes it worth a monthly fee? I don't pay a monthly fee to play MW online. So the only reason would be new content right? Well then why do they charge for new content packs! Like Cataclysm and whatever else WoW screwed people for... I'm really not understanding what is being paid for by the monthly fee.If I pay for the game initially and each additional pack then ok. If I pay a monthly fee only and get the game and updates ok. But not both.[/citation]

I actually agree with you to a certain extent... I always argued that "if a subscription based game was good they'd give it away and make their money on subscriptions", and I still believe this. When you look at what the $50 up front cost really accomplishes... what it amounts to is a transfer of cost from long term users to short term users. MMO makers know that a large percentage of users will get the game and play it for a month or two then stop - they want to make enough money on those folks that they don't have to charge the long term users more for their monthly subscription.

These are expensive games to produce, and there's really no comparison between a persistant MMO and an online FPS... the MMO requires substantial infrastructure and developer financed network connectivity to maintain. We can gripe about having to pay $50 up front... but if we weren't paying it there we'd be paying $20 a month to play.

Major upgrades are sold instead of provided to users as part of the subscription, and the logic is the same... the development costs for the new content need to be covered somewhere, either with a purchase price or in the subscription. The SWTOR folks have been providing incremental content upgrades, and that is free... so it seems like they're doing a bit of both approaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.