Starcraft 2 around the corner ????

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

av1on

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2007
i heard that when Blizzard was trying to balance out warcraft3 they used an array of very powerful computers simulating and crunching the numbers for every possible scenario between all the races to try and get the thing as balanced as possible. Interesting aint it?:D

sailer

Splendid
i heard that when Blizzard was trying to balance out warcraft3 they used an array of very powerful computers simulating and crunching the numbers for every possible scenario between all the races to try and get the thing as balanced as possible. Interesting aint it?:D

That may have happened. But I never found Warcraft 3 as pleasing to play as Warcraft 2. Part of it was the way you couldn't gather a large army because the gold and timber collection rate went down as the army got bigger. My other gripe was way to many levels where the action was simply go there, pick up that, go to the next thing type of stuff. No building cities, no advancement of technologies, no nothing. Just go from one place to another collecting items with a bit of fighting in between. That got boring to both my son and myself.

If Starcraft 2 does get released, I hope Blizzard learned not to do that. At the same time, I won't hold my breath on it getting released. I had looked forward to Starcraft: Ghost, but that got canceled. I hope Starcraft 2 doesn't suffer the same fate.

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006

That may have happened. But I never found Warcraft 3 as pleasing to play as Warcraft 2. Part of it was the way you couldn't gather a large army because the gold and timber collection rate went down as the army got bigger. My other gripe was way to many levels where the action was simply go there, pick up that, go to the next thing type of stuff. No building cities, no advancement of technologies, no nothing. Just go from one place to another collecting items with a bit of fighting in between. That got boring to both my son and myself.

If Starcraft 2 does get released, I hope Blizzard learned not to do that. At the same time, I won't hold my breath on it getting released. I had looked forward to Starcraft: Ghost, but that got canceled. I hope Starcraft 2 doesn't suffer the same fate.

My biggest problem with WC3 was the pop limit of 90, with even ghouls being worth like 2. It was crazy, and those shitty defences... man.

sailer

Splendid
corvetteguy said:
My biggest problem with WC3 was the pop limit of 90, with even ghouls being worth like 2. It was crazy, and those shitty defences... man.

There was that, and the number of groups that were against you, anywhere from three to six groups, so the odds were from three to one to six to one. Your small group would be all but destroyed and then another enemy would come in and wack on you. It made me wonder if any of the designers of the game really tried playing it.

shinigamiX

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
No building cities, no advancement of technologies, no nothing. Just go from one place to another collecting items with a bit of fighting in between. That got boring to both my son and myself.
In a way Blizzard's RTSs are very minimalist - all units and upgrades are combat-oriented. You won't get universities, plantations, or markets. IMO this makes the whole gameplay experience much more streamlined and fast-paced. If it's economic or political advancement you're after, try the AoE or Civilisation series.

sailer

Splendid
No building cities, no advancement of technologies, no nothing. Just go from one place to another collecting items with a bit of fighting in between. That got boring to both my son and myself.
In a way Blizzard's RTSs are very minimalist - all units and upgrades are combat-oriented. You won't get universities, plantations, or markets. IMO this makes the whole gameplay experience much more streamlined and fast-paced. If it's economic or political advancement you're after, try the AoE or Civilisation series.

And I play those as well. I just like a combination of things; combat and building tecnology. I think Warcraft 2 and Starcraft and Starcraft: Broodwars did a pretty good mix of it, doing better than Warcraft 3.