StarCraft II Beta: Game Performance Analyzed

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ashkaji

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Been a long time comming, this game. Its a must have game if you do any RTS play. It'll be a great investment with increadible play value over years and years if it plays as well as SC1 did. The increased price from the original is a bummer, but everythings more these days :[ lol

Honda1320

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]I have a Radeon HD 4870, and my performance on the Starcraft 2 beta is about the same (usually better) as my roommate, who has 5770. When I'm looking at the FPS it usually sits around the 48fps mark.[/citation]
Yep this is true because based on http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/ the 4870 is slightly better than the 5770 so to get an idea of what kind of FPS other vid cars will get they can use that website. Not 100% accurate but better than nothing.

G

How can people say FPS is unimportant for SC2 because it's an RTS?

Responsiveness is probably more important in SC2 than in any other game on the market.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]WarDaft[/nom]How can people say FPS is unimportant for SC2 because it's an RTS?Responsiveness is probably more important in SC2 than in any other game on the market.[/citation]

You misunderstand. Responsiveness is not the same as FPS.

In an RTS, your success doesn't depend on targeting someone's head with a mouse. Lower FPS can really mess with precision, lightning quick targeting.

RTSs tend to be more about quick management of units, not precision targeting. FPS is not as important in an RTS, certainly it should be smooth enough to play well, but it doesn't have to be lightning quick to prevent a disadvantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.