StarCraft II Going Pre-Paid Overseas

Status
Not open for further replies.

lee3821

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
[citation][nom]Rolled[/nom]first[/citation]
Eh, if you paid in USD, it wouldn't be worth it IMO...just drive up the retail price and increase demand for piracy.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Wait... what?

Maybe I am completely misunderstanding this, but are we talking about renting Starcraft II for 3, 7, or 30 days? If so.... why?

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006

Certainly you aren't the first d0uche ever, fail.

As big as S/C is in North America, S/C much *much* bigger in Asia. I think I read they have 3 TV channels dedicated to S/C I matches in S. Korea alone. Blizzard has tiered pricing, because people will pay for it there. More than that, because it's so much larger in the east, the cost to maintain the servers for online matches is that much higher, and they need a financial model to both support that, and make larger profits from it. Western Capitalism is wonderful isn't it?

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Did you honestly accomplish anything from that? Other then getting thumbed down all to hell? Enjoy your eventual -20.

razzrap

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Well this arrangement works for me. Students who are fans but have limited playing time can definitely make use of a prepaid option. Now, in terms of the price... that's another matter

Kaiser_25

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
am i the only one that misses the gold old days of buying a game, and having full owenership over it, and NOT having to connect to the internet?like oh lets say SC1, or Diablo 1...or D2, or warcraft series, i wish we would get away from this online trend stuff.

Vestin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]Wait... what?Maybe I am completely misunderstanding this, but are we talking about renting Starcraft II for 3, 7, or 30 days? If so.... why?[/citation]
Because people in some regions prefer this model. And, no - this probably won't be coming to either USA or Europe, since the people here prefer paying a lot once.

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
This is just the first step. Kotick has been wanting a pay as you go online model for Activision games and this looks close to what he's been hinting at. You can bet that Blizzard will be doing this with Diablo III.

accolite

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Well they can bet for me not to buy their games if this is the model they are following, damn money grubbing Kotick, makes me feel sorry that I even bothered to waste my money on SC2.

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]Why not? Options are good. I would personally like to be able to 'rent' games for a few days before I buy them.[/citation]

To me, the big worry is not the fact that tiered pricing becomes another option. But that it becomes the norm.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]mchuf[/nom]To me, the big worry is not the fact that tiered pricing becomes another option. But that it becomes the norm.[/citation]
Fair enough. If Starcraft 2 changed to a monthly fee, I definitely stop playing.

GNCD

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
I think this is a good thing for us here is Asia. Not everyone here can afford a PC that will run SC at the highest settings, as well as a fast internet connection. Even if the game itself is affordable, the machine to play it is not. And you still need a fast connection to enjoy multiplayer, which can also be expensive. Most cafes do have decent machines and fast connections. I myself go there for my online multiplayer fix. With this pre-paid scheme, Blizzard would definitely rake in a lot of cash and SC1 players can finally move on to SC2. Blizzard did their homework.

gewehr37

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
blizz is trying to change everything into "WoW" style, so monthly fee can be collected. Too bad that WoW makes SO much money for them, now they can truely show greedy nature of a company

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I friggin hate people that do this. TH mods should ban dorks that pull this crap as they are no better than spammers. Only slightly better are weenies who post a terse, hastily written, vague comment with the exact same intent... being the first to post to a new topic.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]I friggin hate people that do this. TH mods should ban dorks that pull this crap as they are no better than spammers. Only slightly better are weenies who post a terse, hastily written, vague comment with the exact same intent... being the first to post to a new topic.[/citation]
I feel the same way, but just downrank them. Don't feed the trolls.

mdsiu

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]Wait... what?Maybe I am completely misunderstanding this, but are we talking about renting Starcraft II for 3, 7, or 30 days? If so.... why?[/citation]

People in third-world countries are poor. I have been to Philippines and seen it first hand (my wife is from there). DOTA is huge there...kids go to computer shops and rent gaming PCs by the hour

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]Fair enough. If Starcraft 2 changed to a monthly fee, I definitely stop playing.[/citation]
I doubt they would be able to institute a monthly fee on those that already paid for the game with unlimited use. Otherwise there would be a slam dunk class action suit I'm sure.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]kelemvor4[/nom]I doubt they would be able to institute a monthly fee on those that already paid for the game with unlimited use. Otherwise there would be a slam dunk class action suit I'm sure.[/citation]
Hopefully when Starcraft 3 is released in 2020 (assuming the world hasn't ended), they don't have a monthly fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.