Start booting from Ssd instead of HDD

sekje

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
Hey guys,

I recently got my Samsung 840 pro ssd. I installed it but I had a HDD before this and of course Windows 7 was installed on that. At the moment Windows 7 boots on my HDD and I want it to boot on my SSD. Do I have to reinstall Windows on my SSD then?

Thanks

Solution

No, that's not the way it works. You can't 'clone' the applications and then install the OS.

You have two options:

Recommended way:
Install the OS fresh on the SSD
Reinstall your applications

or

Use one of the several clone/migration applications to port the entirety of the existing C drive from the HDD over to the SSD.
This only works if the existing data on the current C drive is smaller than the size of the new SSD.
For instance...if...

sekje

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013

I already installed the SSD so it's already available to put stuff on. When I install Windows 7 on my SSD will I have to lose all my programs and reinstall them on my Ssd? To be honest I'd rather clone all my programs over to my SSD and then install Windows 7 on my ssd. Is this possible?

USAFRet

Titan

No, that's not the way it works. You can't 'clone' the applications and then install the OS.

You have two options:

Recommended way:
Install the OS fresh on the SSD
Reinstall your applications

or

Use one of the several clone/migration applications to port the entirety of the existing C drive from the HDD over to the SSD.
This only works if the existing data on the current C drive is smaller than the size of the new SSD.
For instance...if your current C drive is using 300GB, and you have a 128GB SSD, that will not work unless you reduce the used space to below 100GB or so. Uninstall applications, move personal data, etc.

I almost always recommend a fresh install on the SSD. Cleaner, and guaranteed to work.

Solution

sekje

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013

Okay I've decited that I will do it the recommended way. I backed up all my important files on a USB stick and now I want to installl Windows 7 on my SSD. Before doing that will I have to format my SSD and/or my HDD? I guess I will have to format my HDD because windows 7 currently is on there and I think you can't have windows installed twice on 1 computer.

sekje

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013

Also should I unplug my HDD while installing windows onto my ssd?

jbseven

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
Also should I unplug my HDD while installing windows onto my ssd?

Not necessarily if your hdd is formatted but it helps avoid confusion.

Dont bother formatting the hdd until you have windows installed on the ssd. Just disconnect it while installing to the ssd and reconnect it afterwards.