Start Button and Charms stop working randomly

camazza

Reputable
Apr 18, 2014
Hi guys, this is an issue that has been bugging me for a while now.
Basically, randomly and following no specific action the start button, charms bar and hot corners stop working. They do not appear at all, and the start button becomes unclickable.
Physical button combinations do make them appear though.
This is happening on my main desktop PC (Non-touch), freshly installed Windows 8.1.
It's happening on my surface RT and laptop PC as well. It does not matter how many times I format, reinstall or uninstall apps, the bug is still there. Weird for it to happen on the surface RT too. I'm starting to think it's a bug in the OS itself and it's my usage pattern that triggers it. Nevertheless, it's annoying.

The only way to restore proper functionality is to restart explorer.exe (or to reboot).

I hope somebody has a clue.

Just to be clear: this is happening on a fresh install both on my desktop and laptop. They share NO drivers at all so I'm ruling them out. As I said earlier, it seems like my surface RT is affected too (mostly when I use my mouse) but I can't really say for sure as I don't use it with mouse/keyb that often.

Thanks for your help.

Logically inexplicable, unless you have a virus that has spread via your network to each machine. The odds against having exactly the same Windows corruption on each machine are also extremely high. However, perhaps best to check for errors on at least one to make sure...
First try System File Checker
Winkey plus 'X'
Choose Command Prompt (Admin)
Type sfc /scannow then Enter

It finds and fixes errors in Windows, but doesn't always report them. Run it and see if the fault disappears after re-booting your system
If corrupt files are found that can’t be fixed, try

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth (Observe spaces before /)

Re-run SFC

To view CBS Log

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt

Search C drive for sfcdetails.txt or navigate to C:\Windows\System32 and scroll down

camazza

Reputable
Apr 18, 2014
Thank you for your suggestions but nothing seems to work. The only thing shared across those devices would be my Microsoft Account. I'm thinking there may be a problem with that. I've cleaned up my OneDrive folder, removed shared files, cleaned up my trusted devices list and I've disabled everyhing that could share data or settings across devices. I'll update you if something changes. There may have been a problem with some synced data that triggered this weird bug.

I've installed Windows 8.1 Update on many other PCs (friends, family etc...) and everything is smooth. There HAS to be a problem with my account.

mjlehrke

Honorable
Jul 2, 2014
This happens to me as well. Upon waking from sleep or hibernation the mouse does not interact with the start button or the charms menu. This is true for both my wireless mouse as well as the integrated mouse in my laptop. Restarting explorer.exe fixes the problem.

I noticed something, do you use a homegroup at all?

When I just went to restart explorer.exe (as I was having the issue and came here searching) it appeared that homegroup folder was listed under explorer.exe's process. I had no folder windows or anything with my homegroup open, so it appears it was stuck open from when I last used it yesterday. Possible explanation for the issue with explorer.exe.

unloco

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014

Anyone who still has the problem, i dont know if this is the fix, but it has worked for me so far. (2 days)
I was having the intermittent start/charms not working. to fix it, i just ctrl/alt/delete log out and back in. I decided to look into anything wrong on my metro-dashboard and none of my live-tiles were working. I clicked on the individually and they would not open. I clicked on the "go to the store" link in the warning screen. the app was repaired and reinstalled. I had to do this with MANY native installed apps. I never use the metro "board" so i never realized they were corrupt. The bad apps seem to have a little "x" on the bottom right of the app live-tile.
I believe windows is calling on the tiles for a behind the scenes update on their display info but not recovering when the info is not updated.
TLDR: it looks like its locking up because of failed live tiles. ie: News/Weather/Sports. I re-installed them and two days so far I have not had the issue

projexe

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014
You need to stop explorer.exe first. Open task manager (ctrl-alt-del), find Windows Explorer and end the task (right click on it and select end task). Then File/Run new task. type explorer.exe. Fixed!

John Sawyer

Reputable
Dec 12, 2014
This

morganfj

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
All serious answers.. Task manager and restarting Explorer does work.. BUT NOT A SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM OF WHY and HOW TO FIX... Simply stating a workaround is like saying "If your Battery in you Car Quit.. just jump the car off" NO HELP AS TO WHY... Is there anyone on this forum that can help.. if not... why do you guys keep posting workarounds and acting like you important? Or the gut suggesting solution without really knowing (its always a corrupt system or virus to these guys)... Fact is allot of post are not from idiots but those who explore the obvious first and are baffled, they don't need wannabees techs, but answers from those who HAVE experienced the problem and have a solution... Instead we search hundreds of post like this with guessing wanna-techs ... We need to find a solution to the problem.. thanks for the rant..It felt good.

morganfj

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
NO FIX until /MS fixes this.. TO STOP IT TRY THIS::::
To avoid this happening all you need to disable recent apps corner.
1. Right click TASKBAR and select PROPERTIES
2. Click Taskbar and Navigation
3. Click Navigation tab in the properties window
4. Uncheck "When I click the upper-left corner, switch between my recent tabs."

Now the MS engineers can replicate this on their machines, and maybe if we are lucky they will FIX it!!!!
MS please acknowledge that this is a bug.

FJM

morganfj

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
Another guy telling you the way to reset.. not STOP it!!! TRY THIS:::
After my rant at this guy stating he fixed it with his backwards workaround... Remember easier to use CTRL-SHIFT-ESC select Explorer and press RESTART button on bottom..
NO FIX until /MS fixes this.. TO STOP IT TRY THIS::::
To avoid this happening all you need to disable recent apps corner.
1. Right click TASKBAR and select PROPERTIES
2. Click Taskbar and Navigation
3. Click Navigation tab in the properties window
4. Uncheck "When I click the upper-left corner, switch between my recent tabs."

Now the MS engineers can replicate this on their machines, and maybe if we are lucky they will FIX it!!!!
MS please acknowledge that this is a bug.

FJM

jayrco

Reputable
Apr 19, 2015
I don't have a solution because i have a work around also. I totally agree with morganfj. All of us have a work around that works for us but it does not eliminate the root cause...the bug in the MS software. It happens to me at least once a month for no apparent reason. All I have been doing is creating a bogus test account that creates a profile. It corrects the problem with all of the other profiles on the PC but this is not a solution, only a band-aide. MS needs to find a solution because it is really annoying. It seems easier to stop explorer.exe process and restart than re-creating a new profile. It is absurd that they have not solved this issue for 2 years...Windows 10? probably have its own set of issues!

rileighj

Reputable
May 23, 2015

Did this and still doesn't work..

Polly515445

Reputable
Jun 22, 2015
I had the same problem with charms not working on corners. Going to Task Manager, selecting Windows Explorer then RMB menu "Restart" solved the problem. Someone else had mentioned a possible connection with Homegroup usage or mouse drivers and interestingly, I had recently swapped my wireless mouse with a different one (and swapped back) and also had accessed my homegroup to interact with a computer with an older Windows OS (pre-8). Not sure if there's a connection but for what it's worth...

proac

Reputable
Jul 4, 2015
Hi all.

Using an acer desktop with wireless acer keyboard and mouse and started to have this problem about 3 weeks ago. I have tried all software fixes mentioned. Lots of ideas on-line to update mouse driver but I already had up-to-date driver so even though the keyboard and mouse worked, I replaced batteries in both devices and fixed the problem.

Michael_143

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
I ran the command prompt as admin...did the sfc....seems to have worked well. I would go to my start menu and everything would stop working. If I was watching a movie, after a while my mouse would move but nothing would happen when I clicked. I had to hit the power button to put it to sleep and when the three lights on my toshiba become one or two I would awaken it again and it would work on desktop but start menu...nothing. I had recently reformatted, went through all the updates, read somewhere where they suggested not to run toshiba updates, still the same, if not worse.

Thanks for the suggestion. It worked so far.

Also, I went to power management and took off all the sleeps and screen saver modes. One toshiba tech said it had something to do with that. That stopped it from happening when it was idle but not the start menu issue of nothing clicking to work.

I hope this is a long term fix. Windows 10 please...I never liked windows 8 or 8.1. Just saying.

Michael_143

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
Complainers...I understand your frustration but I think people are trying to help. Some definitely just quick fixes that would be helpful to some in dire need...so it worked for me and I'm glad but if I needed a quick fix I'd take it. By the way, my mouse pad on my toshiba is working again, thousands lost their mouse pad function with this same crap...except...double touching does not result in left click like it used to...to choose something or highlight...double touching does nothing, all it does is move the mouse. Not sure if that's a option to click on mouse properties. I did get used to it and still do it automatically. I'll get unused to it, just happy to have access to start screen and jewels again.

nobunagaoda4

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
after running the command prompt sfc/scannow if there's corrupt files that can not be repaired try reinstalling your windows 8/8.1/10 with all personal files intact it may fix the corrupt files that are causing the problems. I found a post online that said to do that and it worked for me hope this helps if not I'm sorry I couldn't be of help

edit: top is still correct. found that the realtek hd audio manager causes problems in windows 10 with media player and groove music where they just continuously scroll through songs with out playing them and you also lose the the click and drag function to select text. uninstalling the manager seems to fix this problem

Didie47

Reputable
Nov 2, 2015
Maybe you have solved it but for those who haven't here is my contribution.

I had the same problem. I use a laptop and always just closed the lid instead of turning the PC off. I found by turning off and then back on again the problems were solved. Easy peasey.
68 year old nerd. Di

ddhrubo

Reputable
Nov 5, 2015
I don't know if it will work forever but at least it works for now :p I was having the same problem. And as i suspect, it started around when i switched to a microsoft account from a local account. So i signed out from the microsoft account and switched back to local account and the problem was gone :D Don't know if it will stay like this but i will post an update few days later.

TroyJames

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016
Hey, i have the same problem. The start and charms bar is continously freezing after restarting Explorer, or stopping explorer and running again. No matter what solution i try, the buttons still freeze after 3-5 seconds of restarting. I rebooted my pc as well, but still problem. When i click my windows key on keyboard the whole bottom bar and charms bar restarts. Which i assume explorer restarts when i click this key. Plz someone help!!!!! I've been using this pc only for a year and it works fine since, and suddenly this problem occurs. HELPP