[SOLVED] Start Menu, Calendar, Calculator and Others Won't Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 18, 2020
As the title says, certain windows-related apps aren't opening. When clicked on, an error event and two information events are generated; The error code reads as the following:

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 9/18/2020 5:28:28 AM
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: WIN-N4A8U96TEGN
Description:
Faulting application name: StartMenuExperienceHost.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5f1237c2
Faulting module name: Windows.UI.Xaml.dll, version: 10.0.18362.997, time stamp: 0xe85f9394
Exception code: 0xc000027b
Fault offset: 0x0000000000713500
Faulting process id: 0x39f8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d68d9e10c005d0
Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.StartMenuExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\StartMenuExperienceHost.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\Windows.UI.Xaml.dll
Report Id: feea0438-747b-4dfd-87cf-ab77c20a74f3
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.Windows.StartMenuExperienceHost_10.0.18362.449_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
Faulting package-relative application ID: App
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Application Error" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>100</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-09-18T09:28:28.360890700Z" />
<EventRecordID>86654</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>WIN-N4A8U96TEGN</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>StartMenuExperienceHost.exe</Data>
<Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
<Data>5f1237c2</Data>
<Data>Windows.UI.Xaml.dll</Data>
<Data>10.0.18362.997</Data>
<Data>e85f9394</Data>
<Data>c000027b</Data>
<Data>0000000000713500</Data>
<Data>39f8</Data>
<Data>01d68d9e10c005d0</Data>
<Data>C:\WINDOWS\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.StartMenuExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\StartMenuExperienceHost.exe</Data>
<Data>C:\Windows\System32\Windows.UI.Xaml.dll</Data>
<Data>feea0438-747b-4dfd-87cf-ab77c20a74f3</Data>
<Data>Microsoft.Windows.StartMenuExperienceHost_10.0.18362.449_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy</Data>
<Data>App</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

I also have the two information events if that helps... any ideas on what could fix this?

Thank you.

Solution
Page fault BSOD can be caused by older drivers and/or memory problems.

What are the specs of your PC? Is it a brand name PC or custom? If custom, what motherboard?

It could be that updating drivers will allow the update process to finish.

Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html - All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Now its up to you, you can look through the drivers and try to find old drivers, or you can take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

All I...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you right click the start menu at all or same errors?
if menu works,
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

I am not sure SFC actually helps start menu. i could guess the aplications that don't work are the ones based on the new design like calendar (as you said) and maybe Photos

IF the menu doesn't work, this article shows how to get to powershell without start menu option and also shows ways to fix the start menu. and the apps - https://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/co...g-here-are-four-ways-to-fix-it-11364000314532

Don't do the reset step unless you happy starting from scratch.

you are on win 10 1903, its possible an update to 2004 would help but I suspect this is a user problem, so a new account (as article suggests) could also be the fix.

Sep 18, 2020
You would be correct. Basically all of the Windows apps are currently not functioning. I attempted a SFC scan earlier, but had no luck discovering an issue. I also tried re-registering the Windows 10 start menu in powershell with the following line:
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Foreach{Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)AppXManifest.xml"}

the entire process returned red error code, basically all saying various path couldn't be found.

I also tried to update from 1903 to 2004 but was returned with the stop code: PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA.

I should mention, I also tried the steps within this post to try to fix the stop code: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-fix-page-fault-error-windows-10,36234.html

Colif

Win 11 Master
Page fault BSOD can be caused by older drivers and/or memory problems.

What are the specs of your PC? Is it a brand name PC or custom? If custom, what motherboard?

It could be that updating drivers will allow the update process to finish.

Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html - All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Now its up to you, you can look through the drivers and try to find old drivers, or you can take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

All I would do is look at driver versions (or dates if you lucky to have any) to see what might have newer versions.

Another way to resolve the BSOD is just do a clean install of win 10 and then all the drivers will a) taken out of the way of the installer as win 10 installer only uses known working drivers, and b) it will force windows to get all new drivers. It is just a little more preparation to make sure you don't lose any files you want to keep. It would likely totally resolve your application errors as well.

Did you try making a new local user and see if its just an error with your current profile? that is easiest fix as its pretty easy to copy over access to a new user. takes about 5 minutes
make a local user - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au...-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-account
make it an admin account
while logged into normal user, copy the contents of that users folder in c:/users/ directory onto the new users folder in same directory
So for example. if current user is C/Users/Andre, copy all the folders in that folder onto the new users folder in C/users. - the speed of the operation sort of depends how big the old user folder is.

Then simply log into new user and see if same thing happens. If it does, you haven't wasted that much time, whereas if it does fix, its not that hard to set up new user when you have total access to everything other user does. Just need to set up desktop again, maybe log into Onedrive and Steam if you use them... I have had to do it before, its why I know how to do this.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
I can't tell looking at driver listing what PC you have. I need to know that so I can compare what is installed against the website for the PC.

if its a brand name PC, it will have a website with drivers, whereas if its a custom made PC, the same applies for the motherboard. Given PC isn't new I probably won't use that as the source of newer drivers. But it will help none the less.

I can guess its an Intel CPU, you have a logitech Webcam, and PC is about 5 years old. Wild guess you have a Blue Yeti microphone.

Status
Not open for further replies.