Start Menu folder exists, but doesn't show up

Jacob843

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Hello! I have been having some serious issues with my laptop running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit after removing a nasty virus.

After I removed the virus and rebooted my computer, I clicked on the "start" button on the lower left side of my screen. It was empty.

I did a bit of research and found several folders:

C:\Users\Jacob\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\StartMenu

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

Both folders are populated like so:

Appdata:
92a4bada4be2ba3cb4f3d727afb1d331.png

ProgramData:
cb455ebfb70db7e9f07285af458da891.png

As you can see, the Appdata folder has all my shortcuts in it. However, they do not appear pinned in my Start Menu:
91a6549fd76bddea2989e9b02a8f3834.png

If I manually add a shortcut, such as "CINEMA 4D 64 Bit", it will appear in the Appdata folder as: "CINEMA 4D 64 Bit (2)". So the files exist, it is just that they don't show up.

I have rebooted, killed Explorer.exe and restart it, all with no luck. Hopefully, you guys have some idea on what is going on.

Thank you!

Solution
I think you are in the wrong space, one is for the old style quick launch while the other is the start menu programs group.

Your personal setup
C:\Users\Your Login Here\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
The place ALL users see programs from

Try placing things into that location.

Also pinned refers to things on the bar it self not within the menu you get from clicking and all things should be under the All Programs group while most used things will make it to the other list you post an image of.

You can FORCE something into that list by pinning for sure. just right click what you want and select "Pin to Start Menu" from within the all programs section or even by start searching...
I think you are in the wrong space, one is for the old style quick launch while the other is the start menu programs group.

Your personal setup
C:\Users\Your Login Here\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
The place ALL users see programs from

Try placing things into that location.

Also pinned refers to things on the bar it self not within the menu you get from clicking and all things should be under the All Programs group while most used things will make it to the other list you post an image of.

You can FORCE something into that list by pinning for sure. just right click what you want and select "Pin to Start Menu" from within the all programs section or even by start searching for it.

pintostart.png

Solution

Jacob843

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Right. I went through the painful process of taking all the shortcuts out of "C:\Users\Jacob\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\StartMenu"and right clicking to add them to the start menu. I then deleted the original shortcuts and removed the (2) at the end of the shortcuts. Thanks!

Now I know this is probably against the rules (hijacking or not), but since you are an expert, I was wondering if you could look at my other issue involving Windows after my virus removal. Of course, no pressure, as I am sure I will eventually find a way to fix this.

Thanks again!