start menu/task bar/sound stops working

Status
Not open for further replies.

aco45

Reputable
Jul 18, 2015
Hi, I upgraded from windows 8.1 to windows 10. Everyting was working fine until a yesterday.
My task bar stopped responding to right click, start menu did not show up and wifi, battery and sound icons stopped working too. Also I noticed that sound stopped working and keyboard shortcut to increase/decrease volume/brightness stopped working too. So, first thing that came in my mind was to restart explorer.exe, it didn't help at all. Screen went black, just task bar with start button and notifications icon showed up. I could still use chrome and everything else just fine.
I tried to log out and log on and window came out saying : crucial error, cortana and start menu has stopped working, but desktop icons showed up. After restart everything works fine, but after 10 hours or so, it hAppens again Could anyone help please?

Solution
Try re-installing the built-in apps using the following instructions. Open up an elevated Powershell window by typing Powershell in Start, right clicking on the first option, and selecting "Run as administrator." In the prompt that appears, enter this command:

Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

There will be several errors which can be safely ignored. The whole process may take a few minutes. Restart your PC afterwards and see if the errors recur.

Slashgeek

Admirable
Try re-installing the built-in apps using the following instructions. Open up an elevated Powershell window by typing Powershell in Start, right clicking on the first option, and selecting "Run as administrator." In the prompt that appears, enter this command:

Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

There will be several errors which can be safely ignored. The whole process may take a few minutes. Restart your PC afterwards and see if the errors recur.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.