Start menu wont open in win10

sampcole

Prominent
Mar 5, 2017
Installed windows 10 half a month ago, great OS, suddenly, my start menu won't open and the system was very sluggish, ran sfc scan, i got the message:
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them. Details are included in the CBS.Log %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log
I then ran DISM /Online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
But I got an error and it said source not found bla bla bla
I THEN reset the pc, it said
Reseting this Pc 40%
Then I got an error saying there was a problem reseting your pc.
In the sfc log there were a lot of corrupt files, I read on the internet that you should replace them manually with another computer running the same OS.
The problem is, I don't have any other computer running windows 10 (though I do have some running windows 7)
Any fix please???

Solution
I always run SeaTools for DOS from a CD so I can't comment on problems trying to run it from a USB pen drive.

If you don't have a CD drive, give the pen drive method a try for yourself rather than being put off by what you've read. You can't beat trying something for yourself rather than just taking what you've read as gospel.

It may be just be on certain motherboards/chipsets that the pen drive method has issues. It may even be that Lifewire was referring to an earlier version of SeaTools.

The problem with SeaTools that you refer to doesn't keep cropping up on these forums as far as I'm aware.
"a lot of corrupt files"

That sounds to me like the hard drive may be starting to fail so I recommend you test it with diagnostic software like SeaTools for DOS on a bootable USB pen drive or a CD. Download the bootable ISO image from here:

https://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/downloads/seatools/

As a precaution, please back up your data before testing the drive.

sampcole

Prominent
Mar 5, 2017

sorry for the late reply. Well I clean installed win7 now and ran cystaldiskinfo
the temp is 15 degrees celsius
Health status in "Caution"
in the ID "C5" Attribute name "Current Pending Sector Count" the circle before it is yellow

I also recently got a BSOD (after installing win7) when opening a picture

Should I replace my hard drive based on the CrystalDiskInfo check?
I ran CrystalDiskInfo on my HDD though.

sampcole

Prominent
Mar 5, 2017

I meant to say I ran it on the HDD windows is installed on, not any other drive
U said to run the disk check (I didnt download the one you suggested as it seemed messed up) from another flash drive, well I tried to say that I ran it from the HDD I use/the one windows is installed

You can't accurately test the system HDD from within Windows, that's why Seagate provides a bootable DOS version of SeaTools - - you simply boot your PC from the CD or pen drive that you created with the ISO download.

Only SeaTools (or WD's equivalent utility) will give you a definitive answer about the drive's health 'cos you don't need to make sense of that cryptic SMART data.

sampcole

Prominent
Mar 5, 2017

You probably find me VERY annoying cuz of the late replies. I am sorry. I will try out the seatools DOS after exams when I am free. I only have a USB available and I read on lifewire that you cant run the DOS version that well on USB. Is that false? If not, will the windows version of seatools do the job?

Thanks in advance!

I always run SeaTools for DOS from a CD so I can't comment on problems trying to run it from a USB pen drive.

If you don't have a CD drive, give the pen drive method a try for yourself rather than being put off by what you've read. You can't beat trying something for yourself rather than just taking what you've read as gospel.

It may be just be on certain motherboards/chipsets that the pen drive method has issues. It may even be that Lifewire was referring to an earlier version of SeaTools.

The problem with SeaTools that you refer to doesn't keep cropping up on these forums as far as I'm aware.

Solution