Question start / stop problem

Apr 21, 2020
I know, I know... this question has been answered before, and I've done the research before posting... but.. there's an interesting twist... my CPU is approaching 7 years old... Antec 650 PS, i7-4790K, 16GB RAM, eight fans... this machine has worked fine until one day, I hit the power button to hear it rev up and stop, rev up and stop... I'd had some audio problems that I thought was the audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett 18i20), but now I'm sure it's the motherboard... so I thought. The next day the CPU worked fine. The next day, rev up and stop. It worked again for a couple of days and then the same trouble.

Thinking it was a short, I disassembled it entirely, reseated everything - memory, connectors, cards... still rev and stop. Could it still be the motherboard, or something else? Should I forget about it and upgrade?

Apr 21, 2020
That Antec 650 PSU is 7 years old too? Probably the PSU.

I took a closer look, and the power supply is acting like the rest of the unit (start, stop, start, stop). That should be a clear indicator that the problem starts with the PS. Thank you again. I am grateful for your reply and suggestion, and the best place to start on fixing the problem.