Start up bsod windows 7

theamarath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Hello,

I have been attempting to fix a problem myself that has gotten worse. Bear with me its a long one...

My specs are:

CPU : Intel i7-930
Motherboard : MSI Pro-e x58
Ram : 6 gb triple channel G.Skill 1600mhz, 9-9-9-24
HD : 3 total - 350gbx2(used in prior build I just kept them in the pc), 1 tb(OS installed in this one). All Western Digital

Since I put this build together (moved from AMD to Intel) I've had nothing but problems. First I had a ASRock MB that did not recognize ram correctly possibly due to bent pins, however this was usable and did not provide any BSOD using this motherboard.

I exchanged this motherboard for the MSI Pro-e and purchased a 1tb hd along with it. After installing the new MB the ram was fine and no longer an issue. I then proceeded to install windows 7 w/ an ubuntu partition into the 1tb hd.

I started to receive BSOD at start up at random along the lines of "IRQL_less_or_equal", "Memory Management", "Quota Underflow". I tested the RAM sticks and they were not defective. Weird situation is that the bsod would only happen within 5 minutes of boot up or right when the "starting windows" came up.

I figured I might have messed up with the ubuntu install to cause this so I deleted the partition and reinstalled windows 7 only. The BSOD would still occur, but again only on boot up. I figured it may be startup service or program so I disabled all of them non windows related.

BSOD still occurred and I began into looking at the minidump files which pointed to NTSKRNL, NTFS.SYS, primarily. I reinstalled windows 7, and the problems still continued. What is weird is once I am able to get into the system, I can shut down or restart it within the next hour or two no problems. The BSOD occurs after I go to bed at night say 7-8 hours later when I try to re-access it.

Its late and right now the BSOD are happening almost right at start up to where I cant zip the dump files for you. I will try in the morning if it lets me on.

I've changed alot of parts(all of them really except the PSU and the 2 hard drives). I was hoping someone can help me just by examining this problem without me having to reinstall the os for this to happen again and get the dump files out before the bsod frequency increases.

Some things to note,

-BSOD frequency increases over time after reinstall
-RAM appears to not be the issue
-BSOD only happens within first few minutes of boot up
-BIOS is up to date
-Would this be a sign of a defective motherboard, Harddrive or PSU?
-I only reinstall windows through the upgrade disc, should I reinstall vista then load windows 7 to do a full "clean" install?

You help is appreciated

Updated dump files

http://www.mediafire.com/?20zhmikdyj2

Regards,

MSI for one why? there plain rubbish.

PSU issue perhaps? or cpu hsf not attached correctly (thermal issue) - common

Also might want to try set your ram to 1333mhz in the bios see if that helps etc

You have to fully test your hardware to find the exacts - start testing :)

flaminggerbil

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009

Simple answer, yes.

Doesnt sound like a PSU or thermal issue, could possibly be due to ram speeds though, I've heard of people who also had trouble running 1600mhz sticks at their full speeds. So that would probably be a good one to start with, if only to rule it out.

theamarath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Hello all,

PSU and CPU HSF are fine.

The mobo automatically clocks the ram down to 1066 mhz and the latency is set to auto. Will i have to mess with the timings if its clocked down, or is the 9-9-9-24 still ok?

I did a complete reinstall of windows 7 by installing vista, then windows 7, but deleting the old partition prior to installing via the windows 7 upgrade disc. I let all the drivers auto install prior to attempting to update the drivers.

One thing that I think might be an issue is when installing the os, I would automatically update the nvidia graphic card driver, and then the windows update would install its version. Possibly a driver conflict with my graphics card can cause this at boot(not sure)? Anyway BSOD hasn't happened yet. I will follow up if it happens again with the appropriate dump files.

Regards,

flaminggerbil

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
Those error messages dont look like graphics driver issues to me, although I'd personally always do a clean installation of them without using the windows updater.

The timings should be absolutely fine.

theamarath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Hello all,

Ok after a day with no bsod it started happening again this morning. I have attached the two dump files.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/djhuzdxttdn/dumps.zip

Things to note:

-For sanity sake I ran memtest two nights ago after doing the clean reinstall of windows 7 over night. 9 passes with no errors. I know daship says 24 hours, but a bsod occuring this frequently, would it show up within the first 9 test?

-Seems the errors occur more frequently when using the reset button to repower the pc. If I turn the pc off completely then turn it back on I have a higher chance of not getting a bsod on start up, but maybe its just me.

-Can this be motherboard related? BIOS is up to date.

-Would an external HD be the cause of this, even if its not being activated?

-I had a secondary internal hd installed, could a file or doc with a virus effect the primary harddrive? Would this be a cause?

-Again once I get into the system and it hasnt bsod within the first 5-10 minutes, I am in the clear and the bsod will not happen until I shut the pc down.

Again, thanks for all your help.

Regards,

theamarath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Bump with new dump files. I'm noticing if the bsod happens it will keep happening if I allow my pc to restart via the reset switch. If I power it off wait a bit and power it on, I have a better chance of it not bsod again.

Have you run your system in just basic Safe Mode? Use the F8 key and keep pressing it during power on.

Files with a virus on the secondary internal HDD should have no effect on the the primary hard drive unless you have run or used the infected file which would allow it to load up and start up it's usual mischief.

theamarath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Fixed, four days now with no BSOD.

I bought new ram on sale at frys 6gb of patriot 1333mhz. Since replacing the sticks I have had no problems. I retested the g.skill sticks on another pc but memtest still did not come up with any problems. I'll be exchanging these via RMA and selling them on ebay.

TRENDING THREADS