Start up Disk

I am trying to create a start up disk but i get the error message, setup
detected an error while reading C:\WINEBDO.4OO\EBD\AUTOEXEC.BAT. can anyone
help me to fix this issue. Thanx
--
Rob

If you have one working EBD, you can format a new diskette and copy the
existing EBD to it.

--
Walterius

"Rob Walker" <robgwenda23@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to create a start up disk but i get the error message, setup
> detected an error while reading C:\WINEBDO.4OO\EBD\AUTOEXEC.BAT. can
anyone
> help me to fix this issue. Thanx
> --
> Rob

Thanks for that info can u tell me how i go about copying the existing EBD i
am a dullard when it somes to technical issues
--
Rob

Walterius wrote :-

> If you have one working EBD, you can format a new diskette and copy the
> existing EBD to it.

Not quite that simple, I'm afraid Walterius, - you also need to make the
floppy 'bootable', by making it a 'system' disk - then delete the contents
and copy the EBD files onto it.

Just copying the EBD files onto a clean, 'formatted' floppy is not enough -
it won't boot!!

However, Rob could try the following first :-

Search for BASE2.CAB on your hard drive and make a note of its location.
(Probably in the C:\Windows\Options\Install or \Cabs folder)

Then try and create the EBD again, but this time when the error message
appears, (C:\WINEBDO.4OO\EBD\... etc.,) navigate to the location of the
BASE2.CAB file. The process should now continue and complete the WinMe
Startup Disk.

HTH

Mart

"Walterius" <nohow@noway.not> wrote in message
> If you have one working EBD, you can format a new diskette and copy the
> existing EBD to it.
>
> --
> Walterius
>
> "Rob Walker" <robgwenda23@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I am trying to create a start up disk but i get the error message, setup
>> detected an error while reading C:\WINEBDO.4OO\EBD\AUTOEXEC.BAT. can
> anyone
>> help me to fix this issue. Thanx
>> --
>> Rob

Mart scribed:

"Just copying the EBD files onto a clean, 'formatted' floppy is not enough -
it won't boot!!"

And Walter quipped:

I thought it would. When you format a diskette in an OS, doesn't that
include the equivalent of "format a: /sys"? That was why I said to format
the diskette.
--
Walterius

"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> Walterius wrote :-
>
> > If you have one working EBD, you can format a new diskette and copy the
> > existing EBD to it.
>
> Not quite that simple, I'm afraid Walterius, - you also need to make the
> floppy 'bootable', by making it a 'system' disk - then delete the contents
> and copy the EBD files onto it.
>
> Just copying the EBD files onto a clean, 'formatted' floppy is not
enough -
> it won't boot!!
>
> However, Rob could try the following first :-
>
> Search for BASE2.CAB on your hard drive and make a note of its location.
> (Probably in the C:\Windows\Options\Install or \Cabs folder)
>
> Then try and create the EBD again, but this time when the error message
> appears, (C:\WINEBDO.4OO\EBD\... etc.,) navigate to the location of the
> BASE2.CAB file. The process should now continue and complete the WinMe
> Startup Disk.
>
> HTH
>
> Mart
>

> "Walterius" <nohow@noway.not> wrote in message
> > If you have one working EBD, you can format a new diskette and copy the
> > existing EBD to it.
> >
> > --
> > Walterius
> >
> > "Rob Walker" <robgwenda23@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> I am trying to create a start up disk but i get the error message,
setup
> >> detected an error while reading C:\WINEBDO.4OO\EBD\AUTOEXEC.BAT. can
> > anyone
> >> help me to fix this issue. Thanx
> >> --
> >> Rob

thanx
--
Rob

Walterius wrote:
> Mart scribed:
>
> "Just copying the EBD files onto a clean, 'formatted' floppy is not enough -
> it won't boot!!"
>
> And Walter quipped:
>
> I thought it would. When you format a diskette in an OS, doesn't that
> include the equivalent of "format a: /sys"? That was why I said to format
> the diskette.

not necessarily; in fact unless you specifically ask for /sys it won't
(no reason to, a normal data disk is assumed).

Go with Mart's suggestion of refreshing your EBD files.

Rick

My bad. I was thinking about the boot sector, which is automatically applied
when you format the diskette. Getting the system on the diskette is another
matter. Shows you how often I build EBDs in WME. :-(

--
Walterius

Walterius wrote:
> My bad. I was thinking about the boot sector, which is automatically applied
> when you format the diskette. Getting the system on the diskette is another
> matter. Shows you how often I build EBDs in WME. :-(

<grin>

not having to build EBD's is a *good* thing

Rick

thanx
--
Rob

"Walterius" wrote:

> My bad. I was thinking about the boot sector, which is automatically applied
> when you format the diskette. Getting the system on the diskette is another
> matter. Shows you how often I build EBDs in WME. :-(
>
> --
> Walterius
>
> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Walterius wrote:
> > > Mart scribed:
> > >
> > > "Just copying the EBD files onto a clean, 'formatted' floppy is not
> enough -
> > > it won't boot!!"
> > >
> > > And Walter quipped:
> > >
> > > I thought it would. When you format a diskette in an OS, doesn't that
> > > include the equivalent of "format a: /sys"? That was why I said to
> format
> > > the diskette.
> >
> > not necessarily; in fact unless you specifically ask for /sys it won't
> > (no reason to, a normal data disk is assumed).
> >
> > Go with Mart's suggestion of refreshing your EBD files.
> >

> > Rick

thanx
--
Rob

"Rick T" wrote:

> Walterius wrote:
> > My bad. I was thinking about the boot sector, which is automatically applied
> > when you format the diskette. Getting the system on the diskette is another
> > matter. Shows you how often I build EBDs in WME. :-(
> >

> <grin>
>
> not having to build EBD's is a *good* thing
>

> Rick

TRENDING THREADS