[SOLVED] Start up issue requiring hard reset

cardey88

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2013
Hi,
I've recently upgraded my graphics card and updated my BIOS in the process which all went fine. But now each time I power my system up, I get no signal to my TV or monitor (tried both) and my keyboard and mouse aren't getting power. Being the only option I then hard reset my PC it starts up in safe mode and takes me to BIOS I then change nothing, I exit the BIOS and start out of safe mode and everything is working... I'm baffled and would rather not have to hard reset every time I power up so any ideas would be great, thanks. I'll leave my system specs below. My guess is something has been reset that doesn't agree with my system when I've updated the bios but I'm a bit lost as to what it could be.
CPU: i7 7820x GPU:TUF 3080 PSU:HX1000 MB: TUF X299 mark1
RAM: Gskill 3200 (running in x.m.p as always have)

Edit: If I shut my computer down and turn it straight back on I don't get the same problem and it starts fine. The problem only seems to occur once it's been shutdown for a while...

Last edited:
Solution
It turns out I'd accidentally turned the BCLK frequency up in AI suite 3 by a tiny amount (probably with my mouse wheel, easy done) it's a program I'd been meaning to remove anyway. This explains why I was able to start up OK once I'd made it to the BIOS and BIOS CPU settings were applied and why the problem persisted every time I shut down and AI suite had a chance to apply its settings.
If anyone has a similar issue, there's a setting in your BIOS that stops you being able to tinker with the CPU outside of the BIOS, you could always turn that on if you're not sure which program is responsible.

cardey88

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2013
It turns out I'd accidentally turned the BCLK frequency up in AI suite 3 by a tiny amount (probably with my mouse wheel, easy done) it's a program I'd been meaning to remove anyway. This explains why I was able to start up OK once I'd made it to the BIOS and BIOS CPU settings were applied and why the problem persisted every time I shut down and AI suite had a chance to apply its settings.
If anyone has a similar issue, there's a setting in your BIOS that stops you being able to tinker with the CPU outside of the BIOS, you could always turn that on if you're not sure which program is responsible.

Solution

Latest posts