[SOLVED] Start-up issues - please advise!

pullywooly

Prominent
Nov 3, 2018
Hey folks. So, i've been through the new build checklist, and am struggling to get my build working.

Initially, I couldn't get any power to the system. This was remedied by correcting some pins that bent during construction, resulting in the CPU being mountable with ease, leading me to believe the pins have been corrected appropriately. Now however, power is coming on correctly, namely all fans turn on, including CPU and graphics card. However, the pc will not boot. I attempted to leave the pc on for a short duration then try caps lock on the keyboard, and this confirmed the pc is not reaching a state for this to make any difference.

Now, according to the on board light system, the issue relates to RAM (yellow light). Trying 2 brand new ram sticks in the advised configurations, as well as trying them individually in each slot, then finally using an old compatible working RAM card from another computer, the issue did not disappear.

After several hours of research, I think i've deduced one of two things -
either the MoBo was DOA
or I screwed the CPU.

I am not however, a master builder, i'm brand new to this and would appreciate any insight from people who actually know what they're talking about. Are my deductions likely correct? Is there anything else I should try before committing to replacing either the mobo or cpu? I unfortunately do not have access to another working PC to test these components individually (thanks to a certain quarantine :p ) so wish to explore any avenue I can before committing to replacement/returns.

Worth noting that early versions of my MoBo were supposed to require an update to utilise my CPU, but the MoBo box assures me the product contained had already had the relevant Bios update to support it.

Edit to add - MoBo did not come with a speaker for beep testing errors. If these are compatible I could happily obtain one.

Many thanks in advance, any additional info required, please ask!

Relevant Specs:
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B450-F ATX AM4 (brand new, possibly DoA?)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6Ghz 6-core (Brand new, pins bent during construction, but potentially remedied)
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB

Solution
not all B450 boards, if made before July of last year, might not have an out-of-box BIOS that supports Ryzen 3600... (some manufacturers are putting 'RYzen 3000-ready' stickers on the mainboard box if BIOS is recent, which helps)

(you can research if your board supports BIOS updating with no CPU installed, or, find someone with a 2nd gen CPU that will let you borrow it long enough to get a recent BIOS...assuming no damage was done on earlier power on attempts..)
not all B450 boards, if made before July of last year, might not have an out-of-box BIOS that supports Ryzen 3600... (some manufacturers are putting 'RYzen 3000-ready' stickers on the mainboard box if BIOS is recent, which helps)

(you can research if your board supports BIOS updating with no CPU installed, or, find someone with a 2nd gen CPU that will let you borrow it long enough to get a recent BIOS...assuming no damage was done on earlier power on attempts..)

Solution

RealBeast

Titan
Well you have a number of issues that could be the problem(s). You really don't need a speaker, that LED set tells you what you need to know. RAM, but could very likely be bent pins that relate to memory.

The first and most obvious is the bent pin issue. Can you take a nice clear and large picture of the pins and post it? Some of our members like USAFRet are masters at bent pin repair methods (if it is possible in your case).

Are your memory sticks listed in the ASUS QVL for that board using that CPU (look on their support site for your board under compatibility)? HERE is a link to your board support.

Do you have the additional CPU power cable attached?

pullywooly

Prominent
Nov 3, 2018
Thanks for the responses so far.

The box has the statement that it is AMD ryzon 3000 ready printed on the box itself.

I used this link to check RAM, and did not find it though a simple ctrl f search, so perhaps that is the problem, assuming I went onto the correct page. Pcpartpicker website told me the products were compatible at the time of purchase, so either I found the wrong page or the partpicker made a booboo.

Edit: seems the sticks I have were specifically tested with my motherboard during design. They are compatible.

I've attached the best picture I could take of my CPU pins - unfortunately I don't know how close was required, so just got the best clarity I could. - View: https://imgur.com/GuruuwP

The CPU only arrived with a single cable, which was for the fan. I've confirmed through motherboard manual it is definitely plugged in correctly.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS