Start-up Menu, JavaScript, etc. Do Not Load

Yesteday, for some reason, my computer (ME) went kaput, and I couldn't
boot even in Safe Mode. I used a boot disk for system restore, and the
date given was in June 2004. I was able to boot up then, but Norton
wasn't able to be activated. The system trail had nothing, and I got
the mouse and sound in it manually. I checked "msconfig" and it had
"Selected Start-up" but had everything I needed. I had downloaded Jin
for start up, so I clicked on "general start-up." However, it did not
take and every time I rebooted, the run did not read "msconfig" but
"inetwiz," which I needed to get back on my Comcast cable internet.

Taking the advice from this group, I downloaded the AVG virus detector,
and will remove Norton. However, my problem now is that I can't get
systray to load properly. I removed "jin" so I really need that
website again. I removed it because it was unable to work. JavaScript
is not working, and I got this message: Unable to locate registry
hkey_local-machine\software\Java Script\Java Plug-In\1.4.2.06. I tried
typing in that key in the registry, but it would not take due to
unacceptable symbols.

My Outlook Express went to ground zero and I've lost all my contacts,
also. Every download I did since June 04 is on my computer, just that
they don't work, including WinZip.

Any suggestions?

IIUYC, you are running WinME, not Win98, to which this ng is devoted.
In the future, please post to the MS ng, ...windowsme.general, to get help
from those attentative to WinME.

However, you have made a great mistake by using System Restore to revert to
a time of June 2004. You should never revert to more than 1-2 weeks
previous since doing so will render unusable any apps or changes you made in
the intervening time, ESP., your ill-advised Norton AV. In particular, this
AV tool writes to the registry every time it is updated. A SR reversion to
a time prior to the last NAV, or Live Update, update causes NAV to be
"broken" after the reversion, necessitating an uninstallation and
reinstallation of NAV. This is not impossible or even difficult, but it is
tedious, and quickly becomes a PITA, if you have to use SR often.

From your comments, it is clear that your Sun Java Plug-In will have to
uninstalled and reinstalled.
I don't doubt that the same applies to many of your currently installed
apps.
Note that your downloaded, zipped, application setup files may be on the
machine, but their installations are now useless since the registry entries
created during their setup no longer exist.
All intervening Win Updates will also have to be reinstalled.
Perhaps ditto for your Comcast internet setup. Run the IE6 repair tool, in
Add-Remove Programs, too.

This incident may have imbued you with a deeper understanding of the
importance and usefullness of backing up your entire system, to recover in
the future. Any number of inexpensive software backup tools, using an
inexpensive second HD for the storage, afford a fast, efficient, reliable,
cheap solution.

In particular, I urge you to post in the aforementioned WinME ng for advice
on a difficult problem, PRIOR to using SR or doing any other irrecoverable
operation. That ng has many very knowledgeable commenters to aid you. In
your situation, running "scanreg /fix", or "scanreg /restore", may well
have quickly and easily resolved your "no-boot to Safe Mode" problem,
avoiding the several hours ahead of you to resolve the issues now.
In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"irvingr5" <irvingr5@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Yesterday, for some reason, my computer (ME) went kaput, and I couldn't
> boot even in Safe Mode. I used a boot disk for system restore, and the
> date given was in June 2004. I was able to boot up then, but Norton
> wasn't able to be activated. The system trail had nothing, and I got
> the mouse and sound in it manually. I checked "msconfig" and it had
> "Selected Start-up" but had everything I needed. I had downloaded Jin
> for start up, so I clicked on "general start-up." However, it did not
> take and every time I rebooted, the run did not read "msconfig" but
> "inetwiz," which I needed to get back on my Comcast cable internet.
>
> Taking the advice from this group, I downloaded the AVG virus detector,
> and will remove Norton. However, my problem now is that I can't get
> systray to load properly. I removed "jin" so I really need that
> website again. I removed it because it was unable to work. JavaScript
> is not working, and I got this message: Unable to locate registry
> hkey_local-machine\software\Java Script\Java Plug-In\1.4.2.06. I tried
> typing in that key in the registry, but it would not take due to
> unacceptable symbols.
>
> My Outlook Express went to ground zero and I've lost all my contacts,
> also. Every download I did since June 04 is on my computer, just that
> they don't work, including WinZip.
>
> Any suggestions?

Thanks, Jack E. Martinelli. I guess I'll have to remove all those
programs and then go to the website to download them again. I could
undo SR, but I don't think that's going to help. Can you please give
me the url address for microsoft.public.winme? I got that address but
it was added to my OE, and I don't know how to get there on the web so
I can post.

Oops! I found out how to get to the website for ME. Thanks again.

I know this is the wrong ng, but since you've answered my problem, I
note that I cannot download anything that is already on my computer,
such as Java, etc., and I cannot remove it since it is not in my
Add/Remove list. I can't download any of them since the registry for
the download is missing. Should I try to undo my SR?

I have seen, and responded, to your recent post in ...windowsme.general,
where the best of my colleagues there have also advised you.
Please follow their good advice, too, and then respond there.
I reiterate: Please begin by running the IE6 repair tool in Add-Remove
Programs. Begin to uninstall IE6, and you will be offered the option to
repair the current installation.

irvingr5 wrote:
> Thanks, Jack E. Martinelli. I guess I'll have to remove all those
> programs and then go to the website to download them again.

Not necessarily. You restored an ancient registry, you may be able to
replace it with a more recent one. Using Explorer, browse to
C:\WINDOWS\SYSBCKUP and look for files named rbxxx.cab ("xxx" is
numbers). Those are your registry backups...do any of them have a date
more appropriate than the one you restored? If so, restore it as you
did the other and your system will be back to the date of the cab file.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

I hope he's that lucky to have a recent one. Could save him a lot of work
if he does!

dadiOH wrote:
> irvingr5 wrote:
>> Thanks, Jack E. Martinelli. I guess I'll have to remove all those
>> programs and then go to the website to download them again.
>
> Not necessarily. You restored an ancient registry, you may be able to
> replace it with a more recent one. Using Explorer, browse to
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSBCKUP and look for files named rbxxx.cab ("xxx" is
> numbers). Those are your registry backups...do any of them have a date
> more appropriate than the one you restored? If so, restore it as you
> did the other and your system will be back to the date of the cab file.
>
> --
> dadiOH
> ____________________________
>
> dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

I don't have a rbxxx.cab, but do have rbxxx without the suffix, all
winzip files. The thing is that I did make a registry back-up quite
recently, but I can't seem to locate it on the hard drive. It's not
there anymore. Thanks anyway.

turn OFF 'hide file extensions for known file types' in explorer options,
tools/folder options/view, it screws you up
those rbxxx files are the rbxxx.cab file just that the extesions are hidden
makes a real mess if you need to delete anything and you lose a .dll instead
of a .log file

--
Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
spybot http://security.kolla.de