I have XP Pro, and when I power on and start the computer, (not a reboot)
the computer starts normally, but when it gets to the desktop, it shows the
picture that I have for the desktop, then it stops booting and just sits
there showing no icons, no task bar, clock, nothing for about 1 minute.
After sitting for about a minute, it then continues to boot and the icons
and task bar displays and everything then runs normal. Any reason why this
is?

I have SP2 installed, with Norton Antivirus and ZoneAlarm Pro installed.
These have not been a problem in the past.

You could check if there are too many items starting. Also check if the
drive needs a defrag, if its fragmented, may cause a lag in loading
stuff. Also protect your system against spyware and adware.

--
ppcc