Startech PCI Express USB 3.0 card issues on MSI B350 Gaming X MB

Jan 5, 2019
HI there. Just purchased startech 4 port pci express usb 3.0 card. after installing drivers it doesnt work on pci 2.0 (device manager gives error that cant start device) but if i swap gpu and install this card on pcie 3.0 it works but that means im stuck using gpu on pci 2.0

any idea why it wont work?
its second pci express usb card that doesnt work on pci 2.0 slot

Reactions: AiRJacobs

AiRJacobs

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B350-GAMING-PLUS/Specification

have latest bios.
error im getting:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

{Device Timeout}
The specified I/O operation on %hs was not completed before the time-out period expired.
I am having the exact same problem. Same motherboard, same card, same error. At first I though it was a PCIe bandwidth issue, but I only have a GTX1080 in the PCIe3x16 slot and the StarTech in the PCIe2x16 slot, nothing else. The BIOS is fully updated with all the right settings for this to work. I tried the Windows Generic Drivers, the official StarTech drivers, I even reinstalled Windows. Alas, the problem prevailed. I scoured the web looking for answers. I also just got out of a chat with a StarTech support technician. What I found is that it is not a Windows 10 problem because I was told that many people have this card working with Windows 10. It's not an AM4/Ryzen issue because this problem is also on the Intel side. Rather MSI is at fault. For whatever reason the MSI boards, their chipset, their BIOS, do not like this particular card. Again, this problem also happens with MSI Intel boards. Luckily I am still within the return window for my MSI B350 GAMING PLUS at NewEgg. I am going to drop off the RMA package tomorrow on my way to MicroCenter to pick up an ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS. If it works, I'll update you.

System Specs:
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
  • MOBO: MSI B350 GAMING PLUS (BIOS v7A34vMF)
  • RAM: G.Skill FlareX 3200Mhz 2x8GB (16GB) DDR2
  • SSD: Western Digital Blue M.2 500GB
  • GPU: MSI DUKE GTX 1080
  • USB3 CARD: StarTech PEXUSB3S44V (Driver version 3.0.23.0) (Firmware version 2026)
    • Oculus Rift Sensor USB 3.0
    • Oculus Rift Sensor USB 3.0
    • Oculus Rift Sensor USB 2.0
    • Oculus Rift Sensor USB 2.0

AiRJacobs

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016
I can't get at the manual right now, but you might want to check the PCIe population rules in your manual. Some MSI motherboards disable the slot next to a populated slot, under certain conditions.

Maybe this is what you're running up against?
Believe me, I checked this. I also changed motherboards. Anyway, here is the update:

UPDATE: So, I returned the MSI B350 GAMING Plus and bought an ASUS PRIME B350 Plus. I still have the EXACT SAME PROBLEM. Just for shits and giggles, I installed Windows 7 to see if maybe the default Win7 drivers would work. Nope. I've spent the last 2 days straight trying to figure out what is wrong with this card. So, it is not in fact an MSI specific issue, nor is it a Windows 10 issue, like I predicted.

THEORY: 1) It's just a faulty card. 2) It's some Ryzen Compatability issue (even though people with Intel run into the same issue), or 3) Either the card or myself is cursed. I don't know what I did wrong. I am completely out of options.

SOLUTION: I'm just going to throw in the towel and return the card. It's cost me too much time for nothing. On the bright side, because I have a different motherboard with different PCIe1x slot layouts, I can install 2 Inateck USB 3 cards (that I happen to have) and plug one Oculus Rift sensor into each one for the same effect. I should have a theoretical bandwidth of 5Gbps from each card.