[SOLVED] Started computer - no VGA (this was fixed) and no sound

palonso3

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2012
Im a bit frustrated here and need some help.

I started my computer this morning, and VGA was not working. Tried holding power button and computer would not shut off. Turned off PS switch, and unplugged the power cable for a few minutes then plugged everything back in. Still no video. Ended up unplugging a DisplayPort cable and video showed up on the other monitor. Plugged it back in and VGA was fixed for both monitors.

Now onto the no sound problem - Ive tried uninstalling/reinstalling drivers, running sfc/scannow along with other various DISM commands, resetting Windows Audio and Audio Endpoint services, switching audio devices, deleting the Audiosrv reg and merging it, and probably a couple other things that I can not think of. Still now sound.

A couple of notes along the way - when resetting Windows Audio under services, it was unable to start at one point. This service now resets without issue. When attempting to play a test tone, windows fails to play a test tone. I attempted to run windows sound troubleshooting and it showed as being able to play a test sound (I didnt hear anything), and attempted to reinstall a driver.

I do have a restore point from a few days ago available, but I have not selected that yet.

Solution
well, if you didn't have problem a few days ago,. restore point might be best choice provided you haven't installed anything in that time.

Strange it just stopped over night though. Can you check windows update and see if you got anything yesterday? will show in update history

obvious question: speakers turned on? Long ago I reinstalled windows thinking I had no sound but speakers were off :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
well, if you didn't have problem a few days ago,. restore point might be best choice provided you haven't installed anything in that time.

Strange it just stopped over night though. Can you check windows update and see if you got anything yesterday? will show in update history

obvious question: speakers turned on? Long ago I reinstalled windows thinking I had no sound but speakers were off :)

Solution

palonso3

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2012
Restore point worked. Sound working again.

No windows updates overnight - last one was a couple of days ago and I had sound before yesterday. It was a really odd situation.